Outside feeder

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
Want to clarify what you are asking? I'm not aware of anything that would prohibit supplying any building with a feeder. More than one feeder supplying a building can be a problem.

Maybe read through art 225 part II then ask questions on what applies to you that you don't understand?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
The details on Feeders in regard to single management are in Art 225 as kwired notes. Very easy to find..big bold letters.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
The details on Feeders in regard to single management are in Art 225 as kwired notes. Very easy to find..big bold letters.

I have single feeder from one building to another and buildings have single owner for both and on same property.

I did not find wording single management 225.30 single feeder is ok. Where is it? Can you please elaborate?

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
I have single feeder from one building to another and buildings have single owner for both and on same property.

I did not find wording single management 225.30 single feeder is ok. Where is it? Can you please elaborate?

Having single management is irrelevant to running a feeder between buildings.

You may be thinking of 225.32 Ex No. 1 for disconnecting means location.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
Having single management is irrelevant to running a feeder between buildings.

You may be thinking of 225.32 Ex No. 1 for disconnecting means location.

No documented switching procedure exists.

Some people argue that building or structure can only be served by service 230.2.

However building I have is served by feeder from another separate building same owner both buildings single management same property

I thought I read somewhere in NEC 2014 if its under single management building can be serve by feeder. If not and two different owners than building must be served by service only. I just cant find it.??

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
No documented switching procedure exists.

Some people argue that building or structure can only be served by service 230.2.

However building I have is served by feeder from another separate building same owner both buildings single management same property

I thought I read somewhere in NEC 2014 if its under single management building can be serve by feeder. If not and two different owners than building must be served by service only. I just cant find it.??
That's because it doesn't exist.

Rock86

Occupation
Electrical Engineer / Electrician
If building 1 is owned by owner 1, and building 2 has a feeder ran to it, then I hope owner 1 & 2 have a contract on how to pay the utility bill.

If building 1 is owned by owner 1, and building 2 has illegally tapped service conductors or tapped feeders after the meter ran to it... then owner 2 is stealing electricity and should be reported.

As long as code is followed when wiring up, there is nothing against 1 service feeding 2 buildings, or 1 service feeding 1 distribution panel which feeds 2 buildings. It is almost like have having a house and then running power to a detached shed.

kwired

Electron manager
So lets say if bldg 1 os owned by owner 1 and bldg 2 owned by different owner 2. Code would allow outside feeder from bldg #1 to bldg #2? What about accessing their own overcurrent protection and all that?
If second occupant is leasing you possibly run into that. If separate owners they generally want their own service. If you sell off the second building that was feeder supplied, generally the feeder will get disconnected and service will get run to the second building. NEC doesn't really address this though other than accessibility to your overcurrent devices.

david

Where in NEC 2014 it says if buildings on same property and under single management can be served by feeder?
The language is in 225.30 (E) and allows for more than one feeder supply to a building under those conditions

edit: the language also includes branch circuit supplies to buildings

david

225.32 exception No.1 (location of the supply disconnect) allows for the disconnecting means to be on the premises elsewhere than the building location

so you have to decide what is the premises and can that mean the premises can have more than one ownership (undefined by the NEC)

Status
Not open for further replies.