outside of spray booth ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shputnik

Occupation
Expert wirenut installer
A class 1 division 2 booth is located in a building. Is 18 from grade around the exterior of booth a classified hazardous location?

It is my understanding that a zone 3' from the door openings is a classified location. Is that 3 feet in any angle from the oopening?

Thanks

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
A class 1 division 2 booth is located in a building. Is 18 from grade around the exterior of booth a classified hazardous location?
Not necessarily; it depends on booth openings.

It is my understanding that a zone 3' from the door openings is a classified location. Is that 3 feet in any angle from the oopening?

Thanks
While it is measured from the openings, it isn't necessarily limited to 3'. Depending on the application, the hazard radius may be as much as 10'. See Figure 516.3(C)(2).

shputnik

Occupation
Expert wirenut installer
Not necessarily; it depends on booth openings.

How do I tell?

The area that I was wondering about is four feet to the right of the opening and back away from it by 20". If that makes sense. I wanted to run a piece of EMTon strut along the floor then change over to flex above 24" to go into a disconnect. I generally stay on the side of caution but trying not to over do it if we don'thave to.

It was speced by an eengineer at the company Iwork for that 3' from all openings are classified as class 1 ddivision 2. But wondered if out of then 3' zone if a raceway can be located below 18".

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
How do I tell?

The area that I was wondering about is four feet to the right of the opening and back away from it by 20". If that makes sense. I wanted to run a piece of EMTon strut along the floor then change over to flex above 24" to go into a disconnect. I generally stay on the side of caution but trying not to over do it if we don'thave to.

It was speced by an eengineer at the company Iwork for that 3' from all openings are classified as class 1 ddivision 2. But wondered if out of then 3' zone if a raceway can be located below 18".
Typically, the classified envelope would drop all the way to grade from the 3' "bubble" - thus it is possible that there is an 18" classified location (or more) above grade. However, there is no requirement in Article 516 to extend the classified envelope beyond that.

Depending on possible boundary seal requirements, wiring methods outside the envelope(s), may be anything otherwise appropriate to the ordinary location.

Status
Not open for further replies.