Outside tap conductor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

olly

Occupation
Master Electrician
Thanks to the new stupid code change 2020 that you cannot have more than 1 main breaker. My options are limited when the POCO installs meter pedestals, i am forced to splice the house feeder opposed to routing my new barn feeder into the pedistal and putting it on its own main. So my question is can I route my "outside tap conductor" under barn wall and route up into a breaker panel? Or does it need to stay outside the building and LB into the back of the indoor panel? I am not familiar with outside tap conductors and how this applies to what I am trying to do.

The pedistal is the type that has a main but has one extra spot for a 2 pole breaker

No disconnect needed, this is a accessory building confirms the AHJ. Please see the attachment. A picture is worth 1000 words.
This barn sits on footers not a foundation.
1618539950184.png

Thanks

Attachments

• drawing.pdf
    341.7 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

olly

Occupation
Master Electrician
Thanks to the new stupid code change 2020 that you cannot have more than 1 main breaker. My options are limited when the POCO installs meter pedestals, i am forced to splice the house feeder opposed to routing my new barn feeder into the pedistal and putting it on its own main. So my question is can I route my "outside tap conductor" under barn wall and route up into a breaker panel? Or does it need to stay outside the building and LB into the back of the indoor panel? I am not familiar with outside tap conductors and how this applies to what I am trying to do.

The pedistal is the type that has a main but has one extra spot for a 2 pole breaker

No disconnect needed, this is a accessory building confirms the AHJ. Please see the attachment. A picture is worth 1000 words.
This barn sits on footers not a foundation.
View attachment 2556209

Thanks
The code change I am referring to is 230.71 (B)

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Outside tap conductors of unlimited length need to remain outside. If you brought a raceway up into the barn panel that was encased in 2" of concrete then the raceway would be considered outside of the structure.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
Is it that big of a deal to put in two disconnects at the meter with separate enclosures and separate feeds? Compliant with @30.71 (B) 1?

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
I always treated them as we do SE conductors. There should be short circuit and overcurrent protection as soon as possible after it enters the building.

We, in NE, have never been required to recognize the disconnect at the pole as SE. It was, and still is, AFAIK, considered more in line with the new 230.85.

A couple thoughts:

1. Use 230.40 exception #3, and skip the disconnects at the pedestal, meter only.

2. I believe under sub-section 4 of 231.71 B, you can have multiple service disconnects in metering equipment, depending on how exactly it is designed.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
A couple thoughts:

1. Use 230.40 exception #3, and skip the disconnects at the pedestal, meter only.

2. I believe under sub-section 4 of 231.71 B, you can have multiple service disconnects in metering equipment, depending on how exactly it is designed.
As far as I know, there is no metering equipment on the market at this time that complies with that rule. UL is working on revising product standards as a result of the 2020 code change.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Really? It seems like the square deal multi meter units I get have separate compartments for each disconnect and that's seems to be all that is required.
I would have to see a picture, but as far as I know there are currently no compliant metering centers on the market.

Status
Not open for further replies.