Overhead Line installation to 50kva transformer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am the seller of 3 properties working trying to ascern horizontal clearance information for residential overhead lines and need information from the NESC manual. Hopefully this will not fall under deletion by the moderator.

Description: two poles with residential lines will be installed to serve 3 parcels. First pole is located 350' from second. At the second pole the service will go into a 50kva transformer to become underground service to serve the parcels. Electric company began by asking for 30' right of way easement for poles and lines. We disputed and now they are asking for 16' right of way easement stating that exceptions can be made as long as NESC code is not violated.

We wish to give a 10-12' right of way easement for the overhead transmission lines as we do not want poles in the middle of the roadway.

Lines will run along existing 30' ingress/egress roadway on one acre parcels where existing zoning laws do not allow structures that close to the lot line, there are no trees, there is no truck traffic, and zoning laws would prohibit construction of a pool there.

At any rate, I cannot seem to find the table in the NESC code book online which lists the basic horizontal clearances for overhead lines and any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

nakulak

it would be helpful if you could post a plan view of what you are doing. the voltages of the lines are needed also.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
If I was the utility and you only wanted to give me a 12' easement, you wouldn't get any power. That is not enough room to get the equipment in to install and service the poles, lines and the transformer.
Don

Thank you both for the replies.

nakulak-I do not think I can post an attachment and do not have a linked version.The only #'s written by the poles on the design are: N-45' S3 with an S1 between the two.

Don-They would have an additional 20' for ingress/egress and access to equipment.

bob

sellerperson said:
I am the seller of 3 properties working trying to ascern horizontal clearance information for residential overhead lines and need information from the NESC manual. Hopefully this will not fall under deletion by the moderator.
You may not find what you are looking for in the NESC. You will find clearances from a power line to a building or clearance over a building.

sellerperson said:
Description: two poles with residential lines will be installed to serve 3 parcels. First pole is located 350' from second. At the second pole the service will go into a 50kva transformer to become underground service to serve the parcels. Electric company began by asking for 30' right of way easement for poles and lines. We disputed and now they are asking for 16' right of way easement stating that exceptions can be made as long as NESC code is not violated.
We wish to give a 10-12' right of way easement for the overhead transmission lines as we do not want poles in the middle of the roadway.

It is not uncommon for a utility to ask for a 30 ft R/W. That's 15 ft on each side of the conductor. It is usually for tree clearing and accessibility to the
utility equipment. The line is usually built along edge the road R/W and not
in the center.

Last edited:

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Seller, could an underground primary and pad-mount transformer be a consideration? You're already going to have buried services.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Don-They would have an additional 20' for ingress/egress and access to equipment.
If that 20' is a road or driveway, and the easement starts on one side of that, then they should be able to install it. I don't have any knowledge of the NESC so I can't comment on what it might say about this installation.
Don

Take a look at sec. 232 I think it is in the NESC, one of those subsections will list what you want. Remember be nice to the POCO, they will do just about what you want as long as you don't make them made. Now for reality, just because you have restrictions and so on doesn't mean a tree is not gonna get planted right by/under the line, as people come and people go a lot of things will happen. I have seen this situation many times and it never lasts as designed forever. You would be doing the landowners a favor by giving the utility what they want cause the lights will stay on longer, trust me on that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.