Overhead service wire rating

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys, we have been using this triplex wire for 200 amp overhead residential service and never have a problem with inspection. Recently one inspector said the wire got to have a W rating on it as it’s expose to weather. The supply house said this wire is good for overhead use, can you clarify that for me? Here’s the link to the wire we use. Thanks.

http://www.omnicable.com/spec-sheets/secondary-urd-triplex.html?output=pdf

Where do you use this wire? For the riser from the meter up to the weather head? I think the inspector is correct. They reference UL854 in the spec sheet which means it is USE. USE is not suitable for above ground use (see NEC 338). Also you likely need a sun res rating. Often I get this type ov conductor that is also rated RHH-2 which makes it ok for above ground, however I dont see an RHH rating on this wire.

Kevin C

Where do you use this wire? For the riser from the meter up to the weather head? I think the inspector is correct. They reference UL854 in the spec sheet which means it is USE. USE is not suitable for above ground use (see NEC 338). Also you likely need a sun res rating. Often I get this type ov conductor that is also rated RHH-2 which makes it ok for above ground, however I dont see an RHH rating on this wire.

Yes we use them for riser.

Kevin C

Just spoke with the supply house again and they said they sell a lot of these wire for overhead service. The cable have a UV rating on it, and it’s good for direct burial, isn’t direct burial a wet location?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Tom has pointed out the likely problem you have in Post #2.
URD, with no other designation such as RHW, is a XLPE insulated cable designed for use by utility companies and has likely not gone thru the listing process for an insulated conductor such as those shown in Table 310.104.
Due to that fact the AHJ may not accept it since it is not a NEC listed wiring method.

Just spoke with the supply house again and they said they sell a lot of these wire for overhead service. The cable have a UV rating on it, and it’s good for direct burial, isn’t direct burial a wet location?

I hear that all the time: "thats the way we have always done it.." or "it passed inspection the last three times...." If it is only marked USE-2, it cant be used above ground. See 338.12(B)

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I hear that all the time: "thats the way we have always done it.." or "it passed inspection the last three times...." If it is only marked USE-2, it cant be used above ground. See 338.12(B)

:) Those statements are often followed by the supplier/manufacturer eventually stating "Oh! You have one of THOSE inspectors !!" meaning one that actually enforces the Code. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.