Overhead Service wire sized from 90 c or 75 c table ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FWD

I have one 200 amp commercial meter panel and one 150 amp residential meter panel connected under a gutter with the service riser extending out of the top of the gutter . Service conductors will split to their respective meter panels via Polaris connectors rated @ 90c . Would it be legal to size the service entrance wires using the 90 c column , or do I need to use the 75 c column for the wires extending from the weather head into the gutter ? Appreciate the help , Thank You !

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Since the equipment is usually rated 75C you need to use the 75C rating. You can use the 90C for derating but the final ampacity cannot be more than the 75C rating

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
I have one 200 amp commercial meter panel and one 150 amp residential meter panel connected under a gutter with the service riser extending out of the top of the gutter . Service conductors will split to their respective meter panels via Polaris connectors rated @ 90c . Would it be legal to size the service entrance wires using the 90 c column , or do I need to use the 75 c column for the wires extending from the weather head into the gutter ? Appreciate the help , Thank You !

What you didn't state, was what the wires terminate to in the gutter. Or at least that is what I interpreted. The Polaris lugs you referred to are at the weatherhead. That is why Dennis said no. If the conductors terminate in 90 degree terminations in the gutter as well then they can be sized per the 90 degree table.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
What you didn't state, was what the wires terminate to in the gutter. Or at least that is what I interpreted. The Polaris lugs you referred to are at the weatherhead. That is why Dennis said no. If the conductors terminate in 90 degree terminations in the gutter as well then they can be sized per the 90 degree table.

That is correct. The wires to the polaris lugs can be 90C rated but the taps need to be based on 75C. Sorry I misunderstood what you were asking

FWD

Overhead service

Overhead service

To follow up , yes the service conductors from the weather head can be sized from 90 c column if they terminate in 90 c rated Polaris connectors in the gutter , then split to their respective meter panels with 75 c rated conductor . Correct ? Thanks again , appreciated !

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
To follow up , yes the service conductors from the weather head can be sized from 90 c column if they terminate in 90 c rated Polaris connectors in the gutter , then split to their respective meter panels with 75 c rated conductor . Correct ? Thanks again , appreciated !
correct

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector

A gold star for efficient use of the rules. Now just try to explain this to the garden variety ICC wizard inspector in many jurisdictions.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The condition is putting the wire at 75 degrees. They don't want the wire to boil water. So, you can only load the wire to 75 degrees before you are against the code.

There are wet location conductors that are rated at 90° C. XHHW-2 and THWN-2 just to name a few.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
The condition is putting the wire at 75 degrees. They don't want the wire to boil water. So, you can only load the wire to 75 degrees before you are against the code.

Huh ?

It's a bit rare but he has identified one of the conditions where he can install and use the wire at it's 90° ampacity and, with the right conductor, be totally Code compliant wet or dry.

Gary11734

There are wet location conductors that are rated at 90° C. XHHW-2 and THWN-2 just to name a few.

They may be rated for 90 degrees. Doesn't mean you can load them to 90 degrees in some applications. I think the -2 puts them back to 75 degrees in this instance. I'm going to check.

I know the -2 gave me a headache on a previous project. I can't remember what it was...

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
They may be rated for 90 degrees. Doesn't mean you can load them to 90 degrees in some applications. I think the -2 puts them back to 75 degrees in this instance. I'm going to check.

I know the -2 gave me a headache on a previous project. I can't remember what it was...

This is a wet location so the-2 conductor can be sized according to it's 90° C ampacity.

FWD

Exposed wire extending from weather head must be sunlight resistant also rated for wet location at 90 c in this case . Please correct me if i'm wrong .

Last edited:

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Exposed wire extending from weather head must be sunlight resistant also rated for wet location at 90 c in this case . Please correct me if i'm wrong .
sunlight & wet location, yes. The 90° is not a general requirement as far as I know but would be in your particular situation if you want to use the 90° ampacity.
Be prepared to make your case :)

Status
Not open for further replies.