Own a code book?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bikeindy

I have to know. How many guys that you employ or work with own a code book. The guys I employ are given a code book from me and expected to use it and learn from it. I don't know maybe thats why we don't fail inspections.

iwire

Staff member
Between the 600 hours required schooling of apprentices and the required continuing education for the licensed pretty much everyone I work with has a code book.

Some may not be able to find it but they have it somewhere. :rolleyes:

Rewire

bikeindy said:
I have to know. How many guys that you employ or work with own a code book. The guys I employ are given a code book from me and expected to use it and learn from it. I don't know maybe thats why we don't fail inspections.
We failed an inspection for not having a GFI receptacle for the washing machine.Failed another inspection for not having the ground rod driven outside the roof eve.Failed another inspection on underground service we had conduit 24 inches deep to the top but did not have 4 inches of gravel under the conduit.

iwire

Staff member
Rewire said:
.Failed another inspection on underground service we had conduit 24 inches deep to the top but did not have 4 inches of gravel under the conduit.

The NEC does not require 4" of gravel, is that a local code?

Rewire

iwire said:
The NEC does not require 4" of gravel, is that a local code?
The inspector/engineer had a picture of a "typical underground installation" the drawing shows a ditch with a conduit setting on 4 inches of "fill" an arrow pointing to what looks like gravel is labeled "fill". The utility guide says bottom of ditch undisturbed but this "lectrical engineer" had a picture and the ability to fail me.He sent me a copy of their guidlines but I found know mention of 4 inches of "fill" when I called to point this out he refered me to his picture and I surrendered.

ultramegabob

I have used pea gravel or sand to level out the bottom of trenches dug with a backhoe, but that was just something we did to make sure the conduit was bedded good so it wouldnt get broken when it was coverd with dirt, not required by any code that I know of, just something we did on our own...

brian john

I purchase code books and handbooks for all my men, most carry them I have one guy I ask "where's your NEC", Oh I can't locate it. Makes my furious, But he has been around along time, does good work and I stay on his tushie....

Rewire said:
We failed an inspection for not having a GFI receptacle for the washing machine.Failed another inspection for not having the ground rod driven outside the roof eve.Failed another inspection on underground service we had conduit 24 inches deep to the top but did not have 4 inches of gravel under the conduit.

Maybe you need to walk your jobs yourself before calling for an inspection?
Even the best guys can benefit from a fresh set of eyes on things.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
There was a time when I sat in a room full of electricians (about 20) and I was the only one who had a current code book. Seems that the last code book these guys had was given to them in apprentice school. For some that book was 30-40 years old.:rolleyes:

mdshunk

infinity said:
There was a time when I sat in a room full of electricians (about 20) and I was the only one who had a current code book. Seems that the last code book these guys had was given to them in apprentice school. For some that book was 30-40 years old.:rolleyes:
I saw a guy waiting for his turn at a meeting of the local electrician's examining board to appeal a red tag with his 1978 NEC in tow. They went into private session to take care of him, but I understand he didn't fare well.

SiddMartin

Company provides code books to all of the employees, but only a few know how to find what they need to know anyway... kinda sad 'eh?

C3PO

Some of the inspectors around here always say that only two EC's in middle Tennessee have a current NEC. I have one so I wonder who the other EC is?;)

electricmanscott

Rewire said:

How about a new thread, "How many inspectors have code books" :roll:

None of those are necessarily violations except maybe the washing machine receptacle, and even that is only a maybe.

Status
Not open for further replies.