oxygen machine

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a customer who's oxygen machine is interfering with her satellite reciever.
Whenever the machine is turned on the signal freezes on the even transponders.the satellite system itself is grounded properly and everything checks out fine when the mach. is off.

I am going to run an extension cord to put the mach. on a seperate circuit if this solves the problem I'll have her call an electrician.

Any other ideas as to why this is happening?

bphgravity

Re: oxygen machine

I happen to have a little experience with both oxygen machines and satellite systems. My mother works for an oxygen supply company so I have had the opportuity to mess around with some of the equipment and assist with problems with customers electrical problems.

Most oxygen machines are nothing more than a small pump and compressor assembly. These machines typically draw very little current and would not likely induce a voltage drop condition. There is no leakage current to ground, and though there is a charged field on an internal collector plate, it is so insignificant, that it would not disrupt the most sensitive of equipment. (People with cardio pace makers are typical users)

I am thinking that you have either a very unique and isolated occurance that will possibly go unexplained. Then again, it could be a combination of events or problems. Have you tried plugging in any other loads at the same outlet the oxygen machine is at to see if it effects the receiver? Has the reciever ever frozen up without the oxygen machine being turning on?

I too think it may be advisable to get the assistance of an electrician so all possiblities can be eliminated.

Thanks bryan .
Having a fan plugged inwas also causing a minor interferance. I told them to run an extension cord to isolate the mach. and if that cured it to call an electrician.

bowman

a while back had opened a sub panel and found a capacitor tied in between phase a and phase b

couldnt figure out why

but i guess a while back when these folks had an older satelite dish it would freeze when the jacuzzi was turned on / pool pump????????

does that make sense... i think the mf was .o5

hurk27

Caps across the legs of a panel allow for communication across the legs of the transformer, for equipment that uses the house wiring to send signals between devices, like X10 equipment, FM intercoms, remote wireless telephone jacks, Etc...
This was the only purpose for these caps. Newer X10 systems use a combination amplifier coupler that serves the same purpose but also amplifies the X10 signal also.
The problem sounds like you have a signal from the satellite that is less than 90db. and any type of brush type motor will cause enough RFI to interfere with the error correction signal from the satellite that causes the image to freeze frame. all you have to do is adjust the dish to achieve at least a 97db or higher. or the dish has to be relocated if there is any obstruction as in trees Etc... you might want to contact the company who installed the dish to see what they can do to get the signal up.

Status
Not open for further replies.