P V C glueing

Status
Not open for further replies.

69boss302

Re: P V C glueing

Glue? I remember an old electrician that told me he would kick my behind if I ever referred to it as glue! It's solvent :D

Nah, seriously, depends on the size. Everything that small I've always been told and applied solvent to one side. Once you hit above 2" is where you should hit both sides.

southernboys

ypically I will glue both ends. Just the way I was taught. Now I did have one electrician who told me not to use glue. He said he just didnt believe in the stuff. Thats when I went to the store and bought my own can. Whether he believed in it or not there was a reason why every electrician I know uses the stuff

sandsnow

Originally posted by 69boss302:
Glue? I remember an old electrician that told me he would kick my behind if I ever referred to it as glue! It's solvent :D

Nah, seriously, depends on the size. Everything that small I've always been told and applied solvent to one side. Once you hit above 2" is where you should hit both sides.
Prepare to kick your friend. ;) It's cement. :p Specifically solvent cement. You were close.
Oatey Site

I know it wasn't the question, but the instructions say coat both sides.

straps

Long time a go I had a huge run with over 20 joints in it and I was told by a older old timer glue is for kids. Well of course the job came apart when we backfilled the hole and filled up with h2o and when it came out of 1 of the bellboxes the boss called me in and ate my lunch ( Which was my southern region) and ever since I wet both halfs with the proper solvent and push together then give it a slight twist.
Been doin that since I was a helper for Tom Edison himself.

:)

celtic

Both sides...with cleaner and solvent..all sizes. the time it takes to make it up pales in comparison to the time it takes to re do it.

jimwalker

Well the runs we had were about 700 feet in a ball park.Seems we have a few guys that think they saved money by solvent cementing (can't we just say glue ?).I need not say the out come.I thought perhaps i was wrong but i was taught both ends back when i did pluming and figured gray pvc needs the same.Mine rarely come apart.Just never figured a few seconds was worth the risk.When possable i glue them and let them sit an hour before pushing in the hole.Glad to see others think like me.When things go bad to the tune of all day for 6 men to fix something like this just what was saved? :mad: :mad:

celtic

Originally posted by jimwalker:
..let them sit an hour ...
I hold the connection for maybe a minute (they have a tendency to try and seperate)..and I'll see you in 10'..lather, rinse, repeat.
:D

Never had a failure.

davedottcom

Usually both pipes. (Unless I'm running really low on Glue! :D ) It seems to make them slide together Much easier, especially the larger pipes.

Dave

highkvoltage

The reason you use it on both is because the cement solvent melts a small portion of the outer layer of the pipe and what you are really doing is bonding them together. If you only use it on one side the pipe doesn't bond together as it should giving you a weak connection. I was showed by a factory rep once that the recommended method is apply to both sides then after bonding the pipe together give it a half turn and let sit for about a minute (longer with larger pipe). He demostrated also how much weaker the connection actually was when the wrong procedure was used.

[ July 22, 2005, 11:43 PM: Message edited by: highkvoltage ]

marinesgt0411

only the cut end not the bell end on half inch pvc the glue,solvent is scraped off the bell end to the inside of the conduit producing a blockage or a ridge. any other size both get coated

mdshunk

Originally posted by celtic:
Both sides...with cleaner and solvent.
Cleaner? What causes you to think that cleaner is required on conduit? There's no manufacturer's instruction to do so on conduit. Plumbing, yes. Conduit, no. Educate me.

benaround

Rectorseal PVC Electrical Conduit Cement #633

Directions --------Apply primer --------while still wet quickly begin solvent cement appilcation.

frank

shocker3218

I typically coat both sides. I also use PVC cement while threadinf pvc F.A. onto rigid steel sweeps. This allows the PVC to soften enough to actually get it screwd on tight. Guy asked me why I was Gluing (had to throw that in there) the PVC onto the rigid. Told him to try it sometime, he might be surprised at the results

mdshunk

Well, then, it appears there's some difference among manufacturers. Here's the quote directly from Carlon's website (www.carlon.com/FAQs/FAQ-Cement.pdf):

"Primers are not required for the solvent cementing of PVC conduit. PVC water pipe on the other hand does require a primer because of the make-up of the PVC materials used with water pipe. Please see the attached NEMA Website for solvent cementing procedures.

http://www.nema.org/products/div5/5tc/5tcsolvent.pdf"

mdshunk

It appears the NEMA link Carlon provides is bad. I did manage to find it here: http://www.nema.org/stds/solvent-cementing.cfm#download

The NEMA standard clearly states that primer is optional, but may be beneficial. The only mandate in the NEMA standard to use primer is in cold whether when the conduit will be buried. I would agree that if the particular brand of cement does state to use primer, then you have no choice.

[ July 24, 2005, 11:54 PM: Message edited by: mdshunk ]

Status
Not open for further replies.