P V C glueing

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnE

Re: P V C glueing

90% of the time I use primer and cement on each side. 99.9% of the time cement both sides. Rarer occasion will cement one side only.

John

allenwayne

This is kind of related to but funny anyway,about 6 months ago I got in the shop and in hy basket was a weird service call,Remove floor box wiring in family room ( i usually don`t do service and was told service was backed up.I moaned anyway and took the call.
9 am I get there and there are a fleet of trucks.Plumbers,carpet guys,concrete trucks,buiders waranty etc.I walk in and the capet is ripped up and there are gapping holes all over this 6 month oid home.We had retrod a floor box after rough in,it was fed from the island recep, that fasced the fanimly room.
I hear the sound if s chipping hammer going to towm in the master bath.I walk in and there is a 4x6 hole in the middle of the floor.
The reason for all of this was a piece of cpvc pipe had blistered and had washed away about 100 sq ft under the slab,and when it reached the floor box it filled the unglued plus supplied and there was fountain in the middle of the family room.From the floor box :eek:I removed the wire from where it was supplied from
and cut the pvc to the box.If the box had been properly glued there is no telling where it would have emereged.
Structrual engineers were called inspectores were all over,I got out of dodge city
Kind of a funny story but it falls under the thread so I figured would pass it on
:D to glue or not to glue that is he question :p

tx2step

Yikes! I hope the plumber has plenty of liability insurance. It's about to get a workout.

I hope the plumber was licensed and insured, and not a fly-by-night hack!

Disasters like this should bring home to homeowners why they should only deal with licensed and insured contractors -- or they can end up with a house that they can't live in and can't afford to have fixed.

See the related thread: http://www.mikeholt.com/codeforum/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=000803

celtic

Originally posted by mdshunk:
Originally posted by celtic:
Both sides...with cleaner and solvent.
Cleaner? What causes you to think that cleaner is required on conduit? There's no manufacturer's instruction to do so on conduit. Plumbing, yes. Conduit, no. Educate me.
Manufac.'s req.s or not, we always make up PVC priming and gluing both sides.
The primer actually softens the end of the pipe ever so slightly and also cleans any dirt/debris off the end to be made up. Now the solvent/glue has a "clean" area to make a realy good connection.

Here's anoter way of looking at - plumbers prime to help keep water IN, electricians prime to help kep water OUT.

paul32

Carlon says primer not needed and only need to put the cement on the pipe and not the fitting.

I noticed here that the clear cement does not meet ASTM D2564. Is that a problem? I wouldn't think they could sell it if it couldn't be used, so what is the advantage of the grey one that meets ASTM D2564?

celtic

Originally posted by paul32:
Carlon says primer not needed and only need to put the cement on the pipe and not the fitting.

Carlton also states:
Cementing PVC Conduit:

3. Clean socket ID and spigot OD
of dirt and moisture.
...and clean it with ???

Cementing PVC Conduit for Submerged Areas Requiring Air or Water Tightness:

2. Test workmanship by
conducting a low pressure air
(3.0 - 5.0 psi) test after system
is installed and cemented
...and I'm sure that happens with any regularity.

Status
Not open for further replies.