PA system in conference room - interface to fire alarm

Status
Not open for further replies.

mshields

I have a relatively small conference room; holds maybe a couple dozen people, with what I assume is some type of microphone system (I'm working on finding out exactly what it is), and the inspector wants me to tie in a Fire Alarm control module such that it is overridden in the event of a fire alarm

I believe this is required of PA systems certainly in schools and possibly office buildings, but in a conference room?

Perhaps relevant in this case is the fact that the conference room is on the 10th floor (so a high rise) of a hospital, specifically within the Neo-Natal Intensive Care unit.

Is this addressed in any of the relevant codes or is it a judgement call? and/or does it come down to the 15dB over ambient and the fact that if someone is on a microphone that contributes to the ambient. But here again, that would be more a judgement call than a specific requirement.

I suppose it's a matter of degree, but a room that holds 30+ people doesn't usually count as a small conference room. That aside, I don't think I've ever seen this sort of requirement for rooms under a few hundred occupancy; and certainly never for hotel function rooms under maybe 100, even in Boston (larger rooms, we use a portable PA which isn't tied in, either).

Is the AHJ looking at Art. 518 Places of Assembly? ("Occupancy of any room or space
for assembly purposes by less than 100 persons in a building of other occupancy, and incidental to such other occupancy, shall be classified as part of the other occupancy and subject to the provisions applicable thereto.")

(Willing to be educated on this, of course.)

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
I have a relatively small conference room; holds maybe a couple dozen people, with what I assume is some type of microphone system (I'm working on finding out exactly what it is), and the inspector wants me to tie in a Fire Alarm control module such that it is overridden in the event of a fire alarm

I would take that to mean the system is to shut down in the event of an alarm. Just provide a shunt trip or contactor to kill the power to it.

-Hal

Status
Not open for further replies.