Pad Mounted Transformer in Parking Garage

kingpb

Occupation
Engineer, Registered
Can an FR3 pad mounted transformer, be installed in a parking garage? This is the ground level, all sides are open to air, ceiling is about 15ft high. Transformer is owner furnished/owned. Code references that allow/disallow would be helpful, as I can't find anything definitive. It does not seem to me that it would be considered an enclosed space.

JRM555

We manufacture competing products to FR3. FR3 can be used in indoor transformers. "Less flammable" ester liquids can be used in indoor application with simplified or no containment/firewall as well as no deluge system over it. The determination of the fire protection is based on the local, state or federal guidelines.

JRM555

I have not seen any restriction for installation in stairwell. For my knowledge, is there a reason why it is not recommended?

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
I have not seen any restriction for installation in stairwell. For my knowledge, is there a reason why it is not recommended?
It may concern the means of egress from a building. We once installed one in a stairwell of a parking garage to transform the output of a 480/277V PV inverter to a 208V service and the AHJ made us move it. It was a pain.