Paid advertising

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dansos

I have always been a firm believer of word of mouth advertising. I think it’s by far the best advertisement there is. Aside from word of mouth, what are you guys using for PAID advertisement that has worked for you??? I have tried Home Advisor, and while I still pay the annual $288 to keep our reviews and name on their main screen, I have not had the “paid leads” on in quite some time.
Billboards? High School football and basketball stadium scoreboards? Facebook? I have no idea what is going to get us a good ROI in terms of advertising now a days. Any input would be appreciated greatly.

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
Pieces of plywood on the little league baseball diamonds-- most outfield fences are plastered with local business ads. Ditto high school football field (and other athletic) fields.

Local organizations sometimes have banquets, and publish a booklet with the program in the center, and lots of ads in the preceding and following pages.

Local diners have placemats with ads for local businesses around the edges.

High school yearbooks have 'congratulations' pages from local businesses at the back, but this would be a slow return on investment!

Make sure your vehicle(s) have large ads with phone numbers and email addresses on all sides. Add a QR code so folks can get to your website quickly. You -do- have a website, don't you??

Your website doesn't have to have a lot-- your company name, contact information, a picture of your truck(s), maybe one of you looking 'professional.' List of the things your do. Maybe a list of satisfied customers (be sure to ask them before you list them!)

Angie's list has local sub-sections for 'Your Area.' Visitors can rate your company, so keep any complainers happy!

Dansos

Thanks for the input. We did get a simple website set up that people can send use to contact us. I have asked several school districts we do work for if we could buy some advertising but they have been full for the last couple years. QR code on vehicles is something I never thought of, pretty interesting idea!!!

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I agree with you that person-to-person referrals are the best advertising. It's very inexpensive and very believable. Anything you can do to increase these is your best investment. Look into networking groups like BNI. Make friends with other quality tradespersons and offer to recommend them if they recommend you. Tell your current clients about your refer-a-friend program. Whenever you finish a job and you feel the client had a positive experience, offer to give them a small refund if they post a review online (but don't say positive review, just review). Verify it was posted, positive or negative, and then send them a check.

In my experience all print advertising is a waste of money. That includes newspapers, programs, brochures, billboards, and a wrap on your truck. If you must spend a lot of money to do a fancy ad on your truck, do only the back, the part that people stare at in traffic. People only take note of an ad when they have an immediate need, otherwise it's just noise they ignore. When people have an immediate need the first thing they do is type "electrician near me" into an internet search engine. Getting your name near the top of the search results is the key to getting calls, both residential and commercial.

Google and Bing both have multiple programs where you can pay to make this happen. You can also pay lead services like Home Advisor (who you already have a relationship with), Porch, and Yelp who capture a lot of leads with their own top of search result ads and resell them to you, but be careful, they are all a bit scammy. While you are paying for this, read up on SEO and do what it says (but be very careful hiring SEO companies, most are scams) to make your organic ranking better.

Last edited:

bkludecke

Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Advertising is an important component in our business plan. We try to hit most of the various advertising types - phone books, print, radio, internet...... - with at least some of our advertising budget. That said, we have many competitors who advertise more than us and then do a lousy job answering the phone calls promptly, following through, etc. We have picked up many good and regular clients who first found us because we actually answered the phone. For us, customer service has been the very best advertising we could hope to offer.

Ravenvalor

Thanks for the input. We did get a simple website set up that people can send use to contact us. I have asked several school districts we do work for if we could buy some advertising but they have been full for the last couple years. QR code on vehicles is something I never thought of, pretty interesting idea!!!
I think that a website is a good investment. We tried Home Advisor to no avail. The local BBB has been a good investment also.

Status
Not open for further replies.