Pancake Boxes

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Probably here too, was trying to be conservative

Let's just say I'm always surprised when replacing fixtures to find a box.
I would almost expect it on homes, but we found some fixtures hung on a drive thru coffee without them. These were inspected buildings, not 5 years old at the time and fixtures were already falling off the facade. I don't think the owner liked the cost to install boxes and hang new fixtures. Real PIA after the fact.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Isn't the fixture required to be marked with a volume for it to be added to the box volume?
I'm a little out of the loop here, but doesn’t the exception allow for the fixture wires themselves (up to 4) to be omitted count here?

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
I wouldn't go back and change, but would take drastic measures to prevent it happening in the future

(Around here, probly 35% of exterior lites are installed without boxes)
Probably more like 75%. Most are just stubbed out, box (if) added later after siding is put up. Especially lap siding, so the fixture will be straight.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I'm a little out of the loop here, but doesn’t the exception allow for the fixture wires themselves (up to 4) to be omitted count here?
Yes fixture wires smaller than #14 but not the branch circuit wires contained in the OP's (2)-14/2 cables

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
In my area virtually all exterior walls have 1/2 shear (plywood or OSB). 7/8" stucco is the most common finish next is some form of Hardie siding.

For stucco if the exterior light lands on a stud/post and is single ended I use a 4/0 pancake. If there will be 2 cables I drill a 4" hole in the shear and chisel 1/4" out of the stud so a standard 4/0 1-5/8 deep box can be used.

For siding the GC's install 2X4 blocks slightly larger than the fixture canopy on top of the shear. The same 4/0 1-5/8 deep box can be installed directly to the shear.

For Stucco that has no structural member in the way I drill a 4" hole and use an NM 4/0 bar hanger box.