Panel Access; and what is a ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Open Neutral

Occupation
Engineer
200A subpanelboard {which shall have a shunt trip main for un-Code reasons....}

L&I {WA AHJ} says it can not be in a space under an extended porch because of a 6'6" headroom access rule. That's some minor unhappyness, but more importantly it brings up another issue.

There's a box with controls for the sliding floor that was planned to be under that porch as well. The question that comes up is: does the Code and its accessibility rules cover such a box? It does have internal fuses for the floor's pumps & motors. And if so, what if the box has cordage and a Twistlock, vs. wired to the panelboard? I've been told in years past that "Once it's got a cord..." the Code stops there.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Is this a general protective device panel board or a dedicated equipment control panel?

Open Neutral

Occupation
Engineer
Has this difference proven to be decisive in dealing with AHJ's?
&
The EC has said 110.26(A)(3) only applies to existing equipment in existing houses. How have AHJ's rules in other cases?
It is a dedicated equipment control cabinet.

I was on-site and collected some imagery:
A, B, C

The discussion was mooted by the fact that the County/L&I were so backlogged it was impossible to get an inspector out to look again, much less rule. They were literally having contractors image what they were doing, and signing off later based on only that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.