Panel Board installation near Solvent tanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samgp

Occupation
Manager Health, Safety and Environment
Is there any safe distance requirement for installation of electrical panel with Solvent storage tanks. We have a PVA (poly vinyl accetate) storage tanks and want's to install the panel outside the dyke wall of it properly covered in civil structure. The problem is we have Underground flammable solvent storage tanks approx. 25 feet away from intended area of panel installation.

Is there any standard reference for it. or any safety guidelines regarding this.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
It is either a classified area in which case a standard panel is inappropriate or it's not a classified area in which case you can put a standard panel there. Somewhere there is a drawing that shows the extent of classified areas in this facility.

Samgp

Occupation
It is either a classified area in which case a standard panel is inappropriate or it's not a classified area in which case you can put a standard panel there. Somewhere there is a drawing that shows the extent of classified areas in this facility.
Area adjacent to the tanks where we want to install is not classified, there are however some underground tanks containing flammable chemicals approx. 25 feet away from installation. So we will be doing brick work and will confine the panel inside a civil structure cabin to contain the hazards of electrical spark or fire.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Area adjacent to the tanks where we want to install is not classified, there are however some underground tanks containing flammable chemicals approx. 25 feet away from installation. So we will be doing brick work and will confine the panel inside a civil structure cabin to contain the hazards of electrical spark or fire.
What would the point be to putting the panel inside of a cabin? It would not make it any safer. Either the area is classified or it is not. If it is classified, you might not be able to just erect a cabin and install the panel inside of it.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
The NEC requires an area classification drawing, its around section 500.4. As pointed out either it is or is not classified. Is there a safe distance? Yes.

Samgp

Occupation
What would the point be to putting the panel inside of a cabin? It would not make it any safer. Either the area is classified or it is not. If it is classified, you might not be able to just erect a cabin and install the panel inside of it.
Thanks for the clarity brother. The area of installation is Class 1 Division 2 Zone. So i think i should be going with a panel classified for the same zone or above. Building a civil compartment will add to the security of the panel, or misuse but won't protect against any hazards related to the panel. Agreed

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
When I read the thread title, my brain saw "Soviet tanks", maybe because "Solvent" was capitalized...
Thats exactly what I saw. Had to look twice

BYW What happened to Rbalex ? Havn't seen him here for a while

Status
Not open for further replies.