Panel change

865resi

Occupation
Electrician
Am I required to use arc fault breakers? 35 year old house, panel change only. Nothing extra, panel change only. 2017 code.
Thanks

acin

Occupation
general building contractor est.1984 . C 10 elec. lic.as of 8 / 7/ 2020
While I agree with the others that say it is not required, there is one caveat. If the panel change requires extending branch circuits more than 6 feet then the AFCIs would be required.
is that 6 ft rule in the NEC ?

marmathsen

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
While I agree with the others that say it is not required, there is one caveat. If the panel change requires extending branch circuits more than 6 feet then the AFCIs would be required.
True but even then can be justifiably waived by an inspector. We relocated a panel from a stair with about 12 feet of wire length. I discussed with the inspector that since we added the wire on the supply side of the circuits and we couldn't guarantee what was downstream, that it made sense not to add AFCI breakers and she agreed.

Rob G - Seattle

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
is that 6 ft rule in the NEC ?
2017 NEC - 210.12(D) Exception is where it allows if the conductor is NOT extended more than 6 ft., no AFCI is required.

Later editions makes it clear that the 6ft does not include the portion of conductor within the enclosure, cabinet or J boxes.

Greentagger

Occupation
Master Electrician, Electrical Inspector
Extension of the circuit more than 6’ AND the addition of an outlet or device.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Extension of the circuit more than 6’ AND the addition of an outlet or device.

It says that if you include any additional outlets or devices than the exception does not apply even if the extension is 6' or less.

2017 NEC:
Exception: AFCI protection shall not be required where the extension of the existing conductors is not more than 1.8 m (6 ft) and does not
include any additional outlets or devices.

Greentagger

Occupation
Master Electrician, Electrical Inspector
It says that if you include any additional outlets or devices than the exception does not apply even if the extension is 6' or less.
Yes sir you are correct. I wonder if in the meaning of extending circuits, is it on either side of the circuit?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Yes sir you are correct. I wonder if in the meaning of extending circuits, is it on either side of the circuit?
It doesn't say where the extension is taking place it just limits the length to 6' before the AFCI rule kicks in. This is common on service upgrades where the existing conductors are too short and need a small extension but it could also apply if you were moving a receptacle. Dennis wrote the original code change but I beleive his substantiation was related to panel relocations/upgrades.

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
True but even then can be justifiably waived by an inspector. We relocated a panel from a stair with about 12 feet of wire length. I discussed with the inspector that since we added the wire on the supply side of the circuits and we couldn't guarantee what was downstream, that it made sense not to add AFCI breakers and she agreed.

Rob G - Seattle
Never heard of that flying in WA good for you.