Panel Circuit Breaker. vs. Load Center

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buck Parrish

I am bidding on a job where the engineer is saying. "Circuit breaker type with copper bus Nema 1 enclosure. - ( Load center not accepptable)"

Does that mean to use the bolt in type breaker panel ?

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
buckofdurham said:
I am bidding on a job where the engineer is saying. "Circuit breaker type with copper bus Nema 1 enclosure. - ( Load center not accepptable)"

No, but that is a probable intent of this section. Another reason for this statement might be the desire for a 20"w x 5-3/4" deep galvanized box.

Several manufacturers make non-loadcenter panelboards with copper bus and plug-on breakers.

quogueelectric

buckofdurham said:

The spec is for copper buss these are usually bolt on in my experience nema enclosure is a spec for panel enclosure constrution standards.
Call the manufacturer and see what is available. I would shop the price around for a package hopefully it is more than one panel to get a better package price.
This engineer just doesnt want aluminum bus and if the loads are critical I cant blame him.

Buck Parrish

quogueelectric said:
The spec is for copper buss these are usually bolt on in my experience nema enclosure is a spec for panel enclosure constrution standards.
Call the manufacturer and see what is available. I would shop the price around for a package hopefully it is more than one panel to get a better package price.
This engineer just doesnt want aluminum bus and if the loads are critical I cant blame him.

Yes, Thanks for the info.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
quogueelectric said:
All of GE and Cutler Hammer loadcenters , I believe, are copper buss.

C3PO

Square D's NQOD panelboards will accept snap in or bolt in breakers 20"w by 6" deep can and you can get them with a copper bus.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
buckofdurham said:
I thought so. Seems like GE bus bar's for plug in breakers have some sort of coating on it. It looks gray.

Most manufacturer tin plate their copper bus. The tin plating looks gray and is even often confused with being aluminum.

Many manufacturers of aluminum lugs also tin plate their lugs. The tin plating of the bus and the tin plating of the lugs reduces the problems of dis-similar metals being in contact

Status
Not open for further replies.