panel clearance per NEC

anbm

208/3, 4000A existing switchboard stayed inside mechanical room, room has only one door far away from the swbd, there is air handler unit located within 4 feet in front of swbd. The client want to replace this existing swbd with new one at the same spot, how can we meet the code for swbd clearance? The existing air handler unit will stay.

anbm

So what is the issue the single door or the air handler?
Thought per code, for this size of swbd, we need either double clearance in front of swbd or one door from each end of it? The issue is second door cannot be added neither double clearance is met. The room is tight.

MyCleveland

Thought per code, for this size of swbd, we need either double clearance in front of swbd or one door from each end of it? The issue is second door cannot be added neither double clearance is met. The room is tight.
If was legal when installed...no change should be needed. As long as you can fit the NEW equipment in the EXACT same footprint or smaller than what exists, it should be considered maintenance.
Not knowing the rules in your location, I would have a meeting with the AHJ and get through this in advance of ordering ANYTHING. Be sure an owner rep attends the meeting with you.

anbm

If was legal when installed...no change should be needed. As long as you can fit the NEW equipment in the EXACT same footprint or smaller than what exists, it should be considered maintenance.
Not knowing the rules in your location, I would have a meeting with the AHJ and get through this in advance of ordering ANYTHING. Be sure an owner rep attends the meeting with you.
Agree, only AHJ can bless this, I doubt it.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
How wide is the switchboard? A lot of people misinterpret 110.26(C)(2) to just apply to 1200A and over, but what it actually says is "... 1200 amperes or more and over 1.8 m (6 ft) wide...".

So if the existing switchboard has only a few breakers and is say, 48" wide, that's fine for a single access room. But if the new one is going to be 2 sections like that, or has a large Main in it's own 38in. wide section, then it will be over 6ft. wide and over 1200A, so they will need two exits.