Panel cover questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonype

Can a panel cover be significantly larger that the panel cabinet (I hope I am using the correct terminology)? Came across a panel (square shape) where the cover is about 6" larger in each direction (3 inch overlap) and secured to the gypsum wall board with anchors (not to the panel cabinet).

Also, the breakers are "Bryant"; panel cover is "Murray" - panel cabinet had no visible ID

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
Can a panel cover be significantly larger that the panel cabinet (I hope I am using the correct terminology)? Came across a panel (square shape) where the cover is about 6" larger in each direction (3 inch overlap) and secured to the gypsum wall board with anchors (not to the panel cabinet).

As a "flush" installation in a finished wall, the enclosure, itself, must be within 1/4" of the finished surface (See: 312.3 & 312.4) and the wall surface outside of the cabinet, but behind the flush cover still has to be tight to the cabinet. That is, the 3" wide overlap isn't a way to cover a large gap in the gypsum wall board.

Bonding the cover to the EGC will have to be done in some manner (408.40).

Status
Not open for further replies.