Panel feeders inside building.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy Delle

I have an addition where the new roof will cut through a solar panel conduit going to the roof.

So is there any restriction to running the panel feeder conduit partially through a garage attic? I am assuming they always run exterior because it's easier but also note that those wires are unfused from the panels to the inverter.

The idea is to poke conduit through into the attic. Transition to 1in flex in the lower garage attic. Than transition back to 1in EMT outside.

What we want to avoid here is replacing the wires to the panels as there are three circuits. The attic run means we just re pull on the ground only and stay off the roof.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
For DC circuits as long as everything is in a metal raceway then that sounds okay. That's the major restriction on wiring method for PV circuits in a building. (Technically if they are DC circuits you're talking about 'PV source circuits' or 'output circuits' not a 'feeder.' ) Of course you need a j-box too if you're splicing wires.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
For DC circuits as long as everything is in a metal raceway then that sounds okay. That's the major restriction on wiring method for PV circuits in a building. (Technically if they are DC circuits you're talking about 'PV source circuits' or 'output circuits' not a 'feeder.' ) Of course you need a j-box too if you're splicing wires.
And maybe a DC disco on the roof; a couple of the AHJ's I deal with require one if DC goes into the building envelope.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
From my understanding of the OP, if it's supposed to be there it would likely already be there?

I thought he was rerouting DC conductors through the attic that had been completely external before. If he isn't combining strings a DC disco would not be called for by the NEC, but irrespective of combining, some AHJ's want a DC disco on the roof if DC goes into the building.

Status
Not open for further replies.