Panel in Stairway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grouch1980

I understand panels / penetrations are not allowed by building codes in fire rated exit enclosures / stairways. The definition of an exit enclosure also states that the exit enclosure should only be used as a means of egress... that's it's sole purpose.

I have a situation in a project, and wanted some feedback. There's a 2 hour fire rated stairway connecting a basement with the ground floor. But this stairway will be used by the tenant for employees to go up and down throughout the day. The tenant takes up both floors. So this 2 hour fire rated stairway is not meeting the definition of an exit enclosure, whose sole purpose is for a means of egress.

The tenant is pushing for a panel to be placed on the stair landing of this stairwell... it wouldn't block the landing, there's enough room. what do you guys think? allowed or not allowed?

Grouch1980

Thank you sir. And the reasoning that the fire rated stairway is not dedicated for use as a means of egress, but is also being used by the tenant for its employees for its day to day operations, would suffice?

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
I believe this a decision to be made by the building and/or fire departments and not the installing electrician. Once the stairwell space is defined then you will know what can be done.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.