Panel on stairs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GerryB

Can you install a panel on the stairs? I didn't think you could. I know it's a pain to work on some old houses that have a fuse box at the top of the cellar steps. This is a new house and where the sub panel is planned now the stairs up to the bonus room are going there. I told the HO I don't think I can put the box where you would be standing on the stairs to work on it, but I told him to ask the Inspector (one guy does all) when he came to check the gas line. So the Inspector said he didn't see a problem "but would check". Will he find something? Clearance wise it's no problem.

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
You can put the panel there but you can't install any breakers in it.

See 240.24(F).

That is funny. It does prove the NEC is a "Permissive Code", the panel can be there just no over current protection devices allowed in the panel. :lol:

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Keep in mind the OP said 'standing on the stairs to work on it'. :)
And some people would say "standing on the stairs" when really referring to top, bottom, or middle landing.
Just wanted it to be 100% unambiguous. :)
In one of my childhood homes you go through a door from the hall and go down one step to the landing, make a right turn and then go down the rest of the steps.

iwire

Staff member
And some people would say "standing on the stairs" when really referring to top, bottom, or middle landing.
Just wanted it to be 100% unambiguous. :)
In one of my childhood homes you go through a door from the hall and go down one step to the landing, make a right turn and then go down the rest of the steps.

Thanks, I am familiar with the concept of landings. :D

I am pretty sure the submitter of that code section would be fine with the landing if it met the rules for work space.

We could ask him, he is a mod here. :)

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I have no need of that. I would just like a confirmation from the OP of the configuration he is talking about.
(BTW, there is also an old thread asking how to persuade an AHJ who has the opposite opinion.)

GerryB

I have no need of that. I would just like a confirmation from the OP of the configuration he is talking about.
(BTW, there is also an old thread asking how to persuade an AHJ who has the opposite opinion.)
It would be on the steps. There will be a landing half way up where the steps turn, I was thinking on the landing or under the landing. This is a garage, attached to the house, and the steps go up to a bonus room. He had me run the wires two months ago before he was sure of the steps. I like under the landing but he (father) doesn't know if daughter and hubby will want it there.

Status
Not open for further replies.