panel outside class 1 div 1 bldg

Status
Not open for further replies.

If a panel is located on a outside wall of a class 1 div 1 bldg , does the panel have to be explosion proof?

I dont think the location is classified but I will have to find out. Nothing but woods out there . No gas tanks etc.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
It is quite possible that one side of a physically created boundary is Class I, Division 1 and, assuming the boundary is unpierced, the location on the other side the boundary is unclassified. If this is the case, then the panel may be any type otherwise appropriate for the location.

If the panel feeds loads inside the building, then appropriate boundary seals may be needed, but it would not generally affect the panel type.

Last edited:

Hairbone

rbalex said:
It is quite possible that one side of a physically created boundary is Class I, Division 1 and, assuming the boundary is unpierced, the location on the other side the boundary is unclassified. If this is the case, then the panel may be any type otherwise appropriate for the location.

If the panel feeds loads inside the building, then appropriate boundary seals may be needed, but it would not generally affect the panel type.

I just went through this, This is good advice! HB

Natfuelbilll

rbalex said:

"Unpierced" does this mean nothing is allowed to pierce the wall? Or, if something is piercing the wall, it needs to be sealed around it's perimeter? Is there a minimum criteria for sealing this piercing?

My wife's brother is pierced and his brain is not sealed.

Status
Not open for further replies.