Panel over transformer

Status
Not open for further replies.

derekh

I was told by a contractor that mounting an electrical panel on the wall over a transformer is no longer allowed. The underlying intent was that you can't mount anything over the transformer such that you would have to lean over the transformer to get to it. I was told by the same contractor that the only way you can mount something over the transformer is if it is the same depth or more. I can't find this in Article 110. Does anyone have a clue where I might find such a restriction?

derekh

Re: Panel over transformer

I guess I didn't read between the lines enough. Thanks!
And just for the record, there's no mention of control panels in that section. Thus if I have a control cabinet that's 30" deep, there would be no violation to have an 8" deep contactor panel on the wall above it because only switchboards, panels, distribution panels, and MCC's are addressed. Correct?

ryan_618

Hi Derek. There is no mention of any specific type of equipment in 110.26, only the conditions of wether or not the equipment is "likely to require....while energized". With that in mind, the AHJ is the only person that can answer your question...

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Another consideration is the ambient temps above a transformer, so if a control panel is sensitive to high temps you may have other problems.

Roger

steve66

Occupation
Engineer

I think you could mount the panelboard off the wall (say on a unistrut frame) so that the transformer doesn't protrude more than 6" from the front of the panel.

Steve

lady sparks lover

I know this is off topic, but mounting a transformer on unistrut scares me because:

1. assesibility

2. the height

3. what if it blows up

4. what if it needs to be worked on

I dunno, it might just be me, but I know it's way more convenient. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.