panel replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

jflynn

Hi-
I had a friend who sold there house,they had an independant inspection-and the inspector told the owner they had to replace the FPE-brk panels in the house.
I went to look @ the job-there is a 200 mcb panel in the basement,and a 30crt sub panel in the house-I could not find a GES for the main panel.The sub panel had a 3-wire feeder installed from the main panel.When I opened the sub it had no EG inside-just GC and hot legs for the branch circuits-the original install has the bond strap connect from the neutral to case-my question is-should this strap be installed?(250-32 (b)exception-# 1)and is it because there is no EGC present?

The owner also has a detached gararge-with a 3-wire feeder-and a 6-crt panel existing-with no GES,I know this is a recurring question-this panel should have a GES installed and keep the EGC and GC seperate?-again the original install has the bond strap installed,this house is considered an antique-built in the late 1700;s-thanks.

glene77is

JC,

In this area,
IF you replace a Load Center (MCB panel)
THEN you become responsible for proper GEC for the panel,
and ground rod,
and bonding to Meter Base (in some cases),
and providing proper EGC to the Sub-Panel.

That being the case,
there is no reason to pursue your line of thinking.

You can always confer with your AHJ.
I walk into the Code Enf office several times a year
and ask a "hypothetical" question.
That way I know the score!

:)

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
... they had an independant inspection-and the inspector told the owner they had to replace the FPE-brk panels in the house.
If you're talking about a buyer's home inspector, he can't tell them diddly-squat. He can express an opinion, and the buyer can use the report to negotiate or back out.

While I agree with replacement of most FPE equipment, anything that was compliant when it was installed may stay as it is, with very few exceptions.

jflynn

If you're talking about a buyer's home inspector, he can't tell them diddly-squat. He can express an opinion, and the buyer can use the report to negotiate or back out.

While I agree with replacement of most FPE equipment, anything that was compliant when it was installed may stay as it is, with very few exceptions.

larry-I agree with both of your points,for some reason it sounded like the home inspectors recommendations were rather just met than challenged- to make the sale...

Status
Not open for further replies.