panelboard as Jbox

Status
Not open for further replies.

DLP1911

I need to move a panelboard around the corner from its existing location, because it is behind the heating ductwork with only 12" clearance, can I strip the guts from the existing panelboard and use it as a JBOX so i dont have to rewire all the home runs? I read 312.8 about this and it seems this section is discussing if it was still switchgear or an existing panelboard. Any thoughts or experience?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Once you remove the internal buswork and other components from the existing panelboard, it is no longer a panelboard. Therefore, 312.8 will no longer apply. You will simply have an empty enclosure. I know of no reason it could not serve as a junction box. The only possible issue could be whether the enclosure would retain whatever listing might be appropriate for a junction box. Someone else will have to speak to that question.

Welcome to the forum.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
I've seen this done quite a few times and inspectors around here allow it. The only thing is they usually make us bolt shut any lid that opens without tools and mark the old box as having no breakers or fuses.

tkb

I don't see anywhere in 314, that a junction box in a dry location needs to be listed.

kwired

Electron manager
The enclosure is a "cabinet", is defined in art 100 and is covered by art 312.

The assembly installed inside that contains bus bars and overcurrent devices is the "panelboard".

Nothing in 312 says it must be listed either - unless it is a non metallic cabinet.

I have even mounted terminal blocks inside when using as a splice box a few times just because that is neater install, reality is only electricians that come in after you are those that will notice or care.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I've seen this done quite a few times and inspectors around here allow it. The only thing is they usually make us bolt shut any lid that opens without tools and mark the old box as having no breakers or fuses.

I've seen it around here too. I would add that none of those things are required by the NEC.

DLP1911

Thanks for the info guys, anyone see a problem the SER cable running through the top of that enclosure on its way to the new panelboard? I can't think of any violation with that either.

dkidd

Occupation
PE
Thanks for the info guys, anyone see a problem the SER cable running through the top of that enclosure on its way to the new panelboard? I can't think of any violation with that either.

If it a service, then that is a problem. Maybe you can put in a barrier.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Is the SER in this case service conductors or a feeder? I would expect it to be a feeder and not subject to 230.7. SEU on the other hand...

I don't think you ever told us what was ahead of the existing panel.

jap>

DLP1911

The panelboard that is now a jbox is still on the backside of the meter can. So the SER cable is service entrance cables that was feeding the panelboard. i ran conduit around the corner and into new panelboard for service cable. So the old panelboard i.e. new jbox has the service cables in the top and branch circuits in the bottom.

DLP1911

@kwired, I don't know, this is the first time I've had to do this. I don't know how the original install was ever permitted, about 12" of clearance in front of original panelboard to HVAC ductwork. It had to be moved. So I guess I'll see what inspector says

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
If this is a single phase panel then SEU is the proper name for the cable running from the meter to the fiorst disconnect. If there is an exterior panel or breaker then you would use SER to the interior panel and that would not be service conductors. It seems like there is confusion naming the cable. Ser- 2 hots, insulated neutral and bare ground, SEU has 2 hots and a bare neutral

Status
Not open for further replies.