Panelboard behind door

Status
Not open for further replies.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
What are some good NEC 2017 code reasons NOT to have panelboards behind door?

Only thing I can think of is 110.26(A) working space can be made available when door is closed but the working space is Not maintained as stated in 110.26(A) door would ultimately come in working space

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Panels behinds doors are not a code issue and do not violate 110.26. It's actually one way to keep people from piling junk in front of the panel.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
Panels behinds doors are not a code issue and do not violate 110.26. It's actually one way to keep people from piling junk in front of the panel.

Ok tell me this when door is open and panelboard is behind the door do you have working space? No. So then the working space is not being maintained. So how is it not code issue?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Ok tell me this when door is open and panelboard is behind the door do you have working space? No. So then the working space is not being maintained. So how is it not code issue?
Um, you can close the door when you need to work on the panel.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
Um, you can close the door when you need to work on the panel.

110.26 first paragraph has two parts: working space provided and working space maintained. I agree but closing of the door is you are providing working space Not maintaining it.

Maintain means to preserve, retain. Will you not open the door again or the door is going to be closed forever. Thats not maintaining working space and so not in compliance with 110.26?

Last edited:

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
The purpose of the working space is so when the equipment needs "working on", there will be space to work on it. If you open the door, the space is there. No different than a closed door to an electrical room. A door doesn't have to be "maintained" , it can be open or closed. A bookshelf in front of the panel would not be "maintaining" the space and would be a violation.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
110.26(A) has two parts: working space provided and working space maintained. I agree but closing of the door is you are providing working space Not maintaining it.

Maintain means to preserve, retain. Will you not open the door again or the door is going to be closed forever. Thats not maintaining working space and so not in compliance with 110.26?
I disagree. The door can be closed, no different than when the panel is in a shallow closet where the door needs to be opened to have the required working space.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
I disagree. The door can be closed, no different than when the panel is in a shallow closet where the door needs to be opened to have the required working space.

Anyone can open the door ofcourse. The shallow closet same thing. The reason of locking door would be mute in dewelling unit. Owner or someone would have key to open the door and electrican can be knocked in front of energized panel. You are not maintaining the working space. You are just creating it. I dont follow what you are saying

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
IMHO this needs to be considered on a case by case basis.

A panel blocked by a door is a _great_ way to maintain working space. To keep the door usable you can't put anything in its swing space, thus preventing stuff from getting piled up in the working space.

I see the issue with someone potentially opening the door while the equipment is being worked on, but this issue itself can be dealt with most of the time..

If the door in question is the only access to a location that requires frequent access, then I could the argument that the door blocks working space.

Similarly if the door is required egress from the working space then IMHO it blocks the working space.

On the other hand a 'double swing door' which could be locked open in the opposite direction while working on the panel would not be a problem.

A panel that is blocked by an open door to a room that can be off limits when the working space is needed is not a problem.

-Jon

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
Really? What if that door was the only door for egress about working space? Such as ones in sketch below?

90a77c5b2094503d86b4c879673b3240.jpg

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
I don’t follow. The question in that sketch was panelboard working space and egress to and from the working space 110.26(C)(1)
Code section says nothing about location or proximity to panel. If this is equipment over 1200V 110.26(C)(2)(a) mentions unobstructed egress or if over 800V 110.26(C)(3) talks of distances and direction of door swing. But normal residential not a code violation under these criteria. OSHA has criteria in the work place having to do with a door to electrical room.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I think you have beat this dead horse enough. I half-dozen very knowledgeable folks have advised you it is NOT a Code violation.

closed

Status
Not open for further replies.