Parallel conductor same length all ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

wireguy8169

The last thread on parallel conductors got me to thinking, are all the conductors required to be the same length or just in each raceway? Maybe thinking to much into this but hey thats how we learn.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Only the conductors of a given phase or the neutral. For example, the "A" phase conductors wouldn't need to match the other phases or neutral lengths, only the other "A" phase conductors.

Roger

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
No, see 310.4(C).

310.4(C) Separate Cables or Raceways.
Where run in separate cables or raceways, the cables or raceways with conductors shall have the same number of conductors and shall have the same electrical characteristics. Conductors of one phase, polarity, neutral, grounded circuit conductor, or equipment grounding conductor shall not be required to have the same physical characteristics as those of another phase, polarity, neutral, grounded circuit conductor, or equipment grounding conductor to achieve balance.

solarEI

The NEC and commentary explain it well for conductors in parallel but what about conductors of the same circuit, but are not in parallel?

For example if i have a 120/208V, 3 phase, 4 wire feeder can i have phase A and B copper and phase C aluminum (in same conduit)?

Also, does the NEC address if the each phase conductor (same feeder as above) has to have the same ampacity rating or overcurrent protection value?

For example could phase A and B be fused differently than phase C?

I think i have been staring at the code too long... Thanks in advance,

Status
Not open for further replies.