Parallel Conductors

Status
Not open for further replies.

69gp

If all the phase conductors and the neutral conductors are in each conduit then there should not be an issue. Now whether they are all the same length-- that's another issue.
[/QU
You have to understand that what you are writing is very confusing. First you say there are 2 sets of 350 now there are 3 sets of 350....

There is 4" conduit and 6" conduit.. That is 2 sets....??????
Yes I hear you on the confusion got lost on that myself. It is a 3 phase system with 2 sets per conduit.

69gp

So then what is the issue? If you have a megger then check and see if the wiring is okay otherwise

Insulation is damaged on the conductors where the conduit has pulled apart. My original question was on if it was ok to have 2 different size conduits even if they are made of the same material. And this was only based on how the conductors are contained within the conduit. With the 6" all the conductors lay pretty much flat along the bottom radius. With the 4" conduit they are grouped together. Yes all conductors are the same length.

Attachments

• damaged conductors.JPG
    damaged conductors.JPG
    120.3 KB · Views: 9

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
My original question was on if it was ok to have 2 different size conduits even if they are made of the same material. And this was only based on how the conductors are contained within the conduit. With the 6" all the conductors lay pretty much flat along the bottom radius. With the 4" conduit they are grouped together. Yes all conductors are the same length.
So, the only difference is the conduit sizes. Each contains the same conductor quantity and sizes. Sounds like a non-issue to me.

If the flat-vs-round bundle difference bothers you, loosely tape the conductors going in the larger conduit into a similar bundle.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
So, the only difference is the conduit sizes. Each contains the same conductor quantity and sizes. Sounds like a non-issue to me.

If the flat-vs-round bundle difference bothers you, loosely tape the conductors going in the larger conduit into a similar bundle.

I would argue 'very likely not a issue' rather than 'certainly not an issue'. IMHO using tape to pre-lay the conductors so that they keep the same geometry in the different conduit is a clever solution.

I also agree that if the conduit were metal the chance that the difference would matter is much greater.

-Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.