Park light transformer and 250.30?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
For lighting in park, going from 120VAC to 15VAC, WAC magnetic transformer is used. Please see the link below for the transformer being used and transformer spec sheet link. In the transformer being used link their is also transformer instruction which opens up lower right hand corner. The light which the transformer is used for link below as well.

What kind of transformer is this? I am wondering would this type of transformer be separately derived or non separately derived for the use of grounding and bonding of NEC 2017 Section 250.30 rules?

Transformer link:

Transformer Spec sheet link:

Light the transformer is used for link:

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Looks like it comes with a cord on it.

Just plug it in to a GFI receptacle and let it rock and roll.

JAP>

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
Have your reviewed Article 411? Especially 411.6

Right but the application is Not for fountain, not for spas not for pools. Application is for park boardwalk lights in ground. You can still use the transformer for park application? Also you dont bring EGC as well to secondary conductors? 411.6 says secondary circuits shall not be grounded.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
See 250.2 A
411.4 B is only applicable for the locations listed
In my state these systems are not required to be permitted or inspected.
For you pay attention to 411. A
I have seen the WAC lighting systems they are a good product, but they can take a lot of abuse. Often in public locations, they get removed due to high maintenance costs

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I don’t follow. No grounding electrode system per requirements of 250.30? Is it separately derived system or not?
250.30 tells you to look at 250.20 and 250.20(A) tells you that in many cases the secondary is not required to be grounded.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
What about transformer primary and secondary breakers and conductor sizes? Which NEC 2017 Article for post #1 attachment transformer?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
What about transformer primary and secondary breakers and conductor sizes? Which NEC 2017 Article for post #1 attachment transformer?
It is my opinion that this item is used and is not installed and it is totally outside the scope of the NEC.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
It is my opinion that this item is used and is not installed and it is totally outside the scope of the NEC.

I dont follow. If you have delta to wye transformer you use that transformer too but still have to ground it, primary and secondary breaker sizes and conductors sizes you have to follow NEC

How is this transformer different in terms of primary and secondary conductor sizes and breaker sizes? Which NEC 2017 article would determine this?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
The NEC has very little, if any, control over a factory equipped cord and plug device. This thing is UL listed and no different from an appliance. If your washer has a transformer would you worry about NEC ?

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
I think the point that needs to be clarified is that _by physics_ this transformer is quite likely a 'separately derived system', but as a UL listed device that gets plugged in, the NEC rules for _building wiring_ do not apply.

The grounding requirements for this particular 'SDS' are set by its UL listing, not by the NEC code SDS transformers.

Jon

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I dont follow. If you have delta to wye transformer you use that transformer too but still have to ground it, primary and secondary breaker sizes and conductors sizes you have to follow NEC

How is this transformer different in terms of primary and secondary conductor sizes and breaker sizes? Which NEC 2017 article would determine this?
It is cord and plug connected, and the authority for code enforcement stops at the receptacle. There are no provisions of the code that apply to the device in this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.