Parking lot lights - disconnecting means not necessary?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pippen429

So the job I'm on is not requiring inline fuses at the handhole for it's parking lot light poles. I had always thought this was required but it seems it's only required for street lighting? That's my first question.

Secondly, as I was looking through the NEC for this very problem it seemed that under 410.8 and 410.130(G)(1) the inline fuse not only served as protection of the individual light pole but also as it's disconnecting means, and without the fuse the poles would have neither individual overcurrent protection or a disconnecting means required for inspection. Also, the EGC is not bonded to the pole, there is a seperate "bonding jumper" that terminates at the handhole and at the top of the pole and at no point connects to the EGC. It also does not travel with the branch circuit conductors, it originates at the pole which I find odd.

Thanks for the opinions!

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Inline fuses are just a design issue, say the branch circuit feeding the poles is 20 amp, the fuses are not required, if it is say, 50 amps, then the inline fuses would protect the wire going up the pole (It is usually downsized) along with protecting the fixture. They are not a disconnecting means because they are not designed to be disconnected live. The GEC should be connected to EGC at some point in the pole, and the EGC should be continuous back to the panel.

Last edited:

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
225.32 exempts this type installation from requiring a disconnect,
The EGC definitely needs to be routed to and connected to the pole.

Status
Not open for further replies.