Passing though a transfer switch - 2017 NEC - 312.8

Status
Not open for further replies.

redshoerider

New User
Occupation
Biologist
Good Evening, All:

I'm kind of stumped on this one. I think I'm in the clear, but want to ask before I give myself a huge headache.

Prior to the 2017 NEC, we had this:

312.8 Enclosures for Switches or Overcurrent Devices.
Enclosures for switches or overcurrent devices shall not be used as junction boxes, auxiliary gutters, or raceways for conductors feeding through or tapping off to other switches or overcurrent devices, unless adequate space for this purpose is provided. The conductors shall not fill the wiring space at any cross section to more than 40 percent of the cross-sectional area of the space, and the conductors, splices, and taps shall not fill the wiring space at any cross section to more than 75 percent of the cross-sectional area of that space.

As of the 2017, we have this:

312.8 Switch and Overcurrent Device Enclosures.

The wiring space within enclosures for switches and overcurrent devices shall be permitted for other wiring and equipment subject to limitations for specific equipment as provided in (A) and (B).

I have a whole-house transfer switch mounted next to the panelboard; the 1st overcurrent device is a 200A enclosure on the outside of the house, so everything inside is downstream of that. I'm adding a subpanel in the garage; the lay of the conduit works out far better if I come though the transfer switch enclosure with the wires rather than directly to the panelboard. Provided I give notice on the transfer switch enclosure that there is a circuit passing though, this passing-though would be allowable by code?

Thanks, all!
-Chris

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I am closing this thread, in accordance with the Forum rules. This Forum is intended to assist professional electricians, inspectors, engineers, and other members of the electrical industry in the performance of their job-related tasks. However, if you are not an electrician or an electrical contractor, then we are not permitted to help you perform your own electrical installation work.

If I have misjudged the situation, if for example this project is related to your work, then send me a Private Message. If you can show me that I am wrong, and that you are a licensed electrician (or at least a licensed apprentice), then I will reopen your post, and offer an apology for the delay and inconvenience.

A reminder to all members, if you see a questionable post, feel free to report it by clicking the button at the bottom left corner of the post.

Status
Not open for further replies.