Pay scale

Status
Not open for further replies.

WirenutNH

I'm looking for some pointing in the right direction/advise. I have been working for a company in Boston Ma as there lead Master electrician for 7 years. With holding a corp liscense for them for the past 4-5. I am in theprocess of renegotioating my salary. Im the past they have paid me a flat fee for each permit that I pulled and now they want to cap it and roll it into a salary. My roles in this company are as follws, estimator, corparate lic holder,cordinatror/organizer. I have looked at salary.com,indeed and other to find out what the average rate for the posittion I am in, is worth but there is nothing that comes back with back up corp lisecnse holder, I can get mater electrician and esimator salaries but the discription is off from what really do. Any suggestion would be appreciated.

ritelec

Personally I think you can only tell what your worth, and what you could ask for.
Respectfully...with all your "hats", do you have someone check your estimates, as maybe someone should have checked all the typo's in this post?
Realize, you may have to settle for what the company is willing to pay you...........if an agreement can not be reached, it would take them little to reorganize their paperwork, and use someone else's license. Everyone is expendable.

Good luck with it.

WirenutNH

Personally I think you can only tell what your worth, and what you could ask for.
Respectfully...with all your "hats", do you have someone check your estimates, as maybe someone should have checked all the typo's in this post?
Realize, you may have to settle for what the company is willing to pay you...........if an agreement can not be reached, it would take them little to reorganize their paperwork, and use someone else's license. Everyone is expendable.

Good luck with it.

I agree that everyone is expendable. They understand that that I wear many hats and there is a value to want to keep me in the postion I am in. This is the reason why they have approched me with this. They know I can manage and estimate and make profit on our jobs. I do have people that work for me that review my bids. I can estimate and manage better than I can spell for sure.:cool:

satcom

A license holder position, only has added value, when he can deliver increased earnings that result in a bottom line increase in corporate profits.

John120/240

How valueable are you to this company ? Your position & responsiblites & salary vs

the position & responsiblites & salary of those above you. Without you, would this

company succed or fail ? my .02

cowboyjwc

Staff member
There are inspectors in this area, making six figures (I'm not one of them). I would use that as a base.

Here's the problem with what you're worth and what you can live on. Big city right next to us was hiring, paying $20,000 more a year than I make here. Problem is I'd have to drive an hour, at least, each way and drive my own car for work, which would have meant buying another car since I drive an F-350. Now, I work five minutes from my house, nothing in town is more than 15 minutes away on a bad day. They give me a truck to use and everything else I need. If my kids get sick, I'm close. I go home for lunch everyday and I can swing by the house if I forgot something, There are benifits that can't be measured.

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
How many hours would it take to replace you? A realistic answer to that question will help you figure out what you are really worth.

It will take weeks for them to get re-set up if he quits he will no longer be their Master Electrician and will not be able to operate in the stase of Massachusetts with out first obtaining a new Master Electrician that wil have to first contact the board and pay the fee to become the master Electrician of that company.

Also they will have to remove his License Number which by law must have on all their business paper work and trucks with signs advertisements.

18.01: Rules Governing Practice

(1) Two or more Journeyman electricians shall not associate as partners or otherwise engage in the business or occupation of installing, repairing or maintaining wires, conduits, apparatus, devices, fixtures, or other appliances used for light, heat, power, fire warning or security system purposes without obtaining the necessary Master electrician license.
(2) A licensee shall only engage in the electrical trade or otherwise conduct business in the name printed on his or her license. Any sign, advertisement or other business communication of a Master electrician (Class A) or Journeyman electrician (Class B) or Systems Contractor (Class C) shall indicate the type of license and the license number.

Now if he gives 2 weeks notice they will have 2 weeks to find a master Electrician who is willing to have their company name on his license and setting all that up takes some time,,But they cannot operate without that license.

satcom

It will take weeks for them to get re-set up if he quits he will no longer be their Master Electrician and will not be able to operate in the stase of Massachusetts with out first obtaining a new Master Electrician that wil have to first contact the board and pay the fee to become the master Electrician of that company.

Also they will have to remove his License Number which by law must have on all their business paper work and trucks with signs advertisements.

Now if he gives 2 weeks notice they will have 2 weeks to find a master Electrician who is willing to have their company name on his license and setting all that up takes some time,,But they cannot operate without that license.
Could they could continue to operate if they hired an electrical contractor to do the work rather then a license holder employee?

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
Could they could continue to operate if they hired an electrical contractor to do the work rather then a license holder employee?

Yes but that Electrical contractor would have to do all the work.

I don't think they could use any of their Employee's however because they will not have the required Master license in their name,So they would have to move fast to get a new guy and that means they will have to pay the price.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

I don't think they could use any of their Employee's however because they will not have the required Master license in their name,So they would have to move fast to get a new guy and that means they will have to pay the price.

How hard is it to get another master on board in that area was kind of the point I was trying to make. My guess is that it can't be real hard these days given the economy. That limits his leverage.

I would not be at all surprised if they put an ad in the paper and had ten guys answer it the first day. In fact, they might not even have to put an ad in the paper. They might well know someone who could jump right in.

iwire

Staff member

I don't see an issue, we use temp help from a temp agency often, they have licenses.

I don't see that as any different, or even different from you helping your buddy out when they need extra help. You are a sub to your buddy, not his employee.

Status
Not open for further replies.