Pcap touchscreen in a Class I Div I area

Status
Not open for further replies.

ras

I understand that you cannot put a Touchscreen in a Class I Div I area due to the fact that if someone cut the resistive film you then are exposed to the atmosphere. With that being said what about a Pcap T/S with either a polycarbonate front or glass. It would seem to me that this is acceptable, and would cause no problems anybody in the forum have any knowledge on the subject. I work for a company that builds Class I and II Div I and II HMI's but really can find no info. on this. Ron

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I understand that you cannot put a Touchscreen in a Class I Div I area due to the fact that if someone cut the resistive film you then are exposed to the atmosphere. With that being said what about a Pcap T/S with either a polycarbonate front or glass. It would seem to me that this is acceptable, and would cause no problems anybody in the forum have any knowledge on the subject. I work for a company that builds Class I and II Div I and II HMI's but really can find no info. on this. Ron

You can put it in a purged cabinet if you use an IS touchscreen. There are a few HMI manufacturers that do this.

One problem with touchscreen overlays in a purged cabinet is that the pressure behind the cabinet can get between the screen and the overlay and cause it to balloon out.

I don't see any way a std touchscreen or really just the display could be made XP.

Status
Not open for further replies.