Status
Not open for further replies.

Designer101

Occupation
Solar and ESS Designer
every time i encountered these Panels, I always wonder
i have no idea what the rating could be ,could be 200A? label is not there
or may be just 150A?
if its just 150A? can i connect solar breaker there on the other slot. I know if its 200A i can do up to 40A, But what about if its indeed rated 150A?
the derating is not an option as the sub panel is heavily loaded.

Attachments

• 150A PDESTAL.png
    150A PDESTAL.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 28

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
every time i encountered these Panels, I always wonder
i have no idea what the rating could be ,could be 200A? label is not there
or may be just 150A?
if its just 150A? can i connect solar breaker there on the other slot. I know if its 200A i can do up to 40A, But what about if its indeed rated 150A?
the derating is not an option as the sub panel is heavily loaded.
There is no bus in there, so 705.12 cannot apply. Looking at the photo, I do not see how one would connect another breaker in that slot to either side of the existing service disconnect breaker.

Designer101

Occupation
Solar and ESS Designer
There is no bus in there, so 705.12 cannot apply. Looking at the photo, I do not see how one would connect another breaker in that slot to either side of the existing service disconnect
There is no bus in there, so 705.12 cannot apply. Looking at the photo, I do not see how one would connect another breaker in that slot to either side of the existing service disconnect breaker.
not sure, there is a metal thing, where existing main breaker is connected I thought it might be a bus bar and wondering if we use that slot to connect similar breaker. i get totally perplexed when i saw these main panels
please see another photo where they have similar connection.

Attachments

• another pedestal.png
    another pedestal.png
    974.3 KB · Views: 22

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
not sure, there is a metal thing, where existing main breaker is connected I thought it might be a bus bar and wondering if we use that slot to connect similar breaker. i get totally perplexed when i saw these main panels
I'm pretty sure what you are seeing is a set of DIN rails that is not electrically connected to anything but ground.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
The first picture clearly shows a breaker without any bus bar connections (cable in and cable out).
The second picture shows breakers plugged onto what looks like a Zinsco style bus bar system.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
The first picture clearly shows a breaker without any bus bar connections (cable in and cable out).
The second picture shows breakers plugged onto what looks like a Zinsco style bus bar system.
That's what I see too. In the second pic, the bussing is still on the supply side of the breakers, so one could backfeed the larger breaker without needing to know the rating of the bus (assuming one has no reason to believe it's less than the breaker).

Like Dave, I would not touch one of these except to replace it. But I'd not be too concerned about backfeeding them from a location downstream.

Status
Not open for further replies.