Pendant light without shade failed inspection

Status
Not open for further replies.

tiras1

Occupation
Electrician
Can anyone explain how rule 2-300 4) OESC can be applied to not installed shade on pendant light?
The light fixture sold with out shade included and no any recommendations to use one in manual.

Eddy_Current

Thanks Eddy, it was with out my present, but point is if it is legit?

Is it a defective fixture? Why would the inspector assume it’s defective? Do you have a picture of it?

Here is the code for the US guys reading this who don’t own a CEC.

2-300(4)
Defective equipment shall either be put in good order or permanently disconnected.

tiras1

Occupation
Electrician
It is out of the box fixture, only missing shade as it came from factory with out it. So, it is call mix and match and sales with out any shade. So, it is no defects what's ever on a fixture at self.
I didn't picture it any way, I could even think it could violates the cod.

tiras1

Occupation
Electrician
"put in good order" is subjective as possible.
"good order"?
what is definition of that? is it towards electrical safety or appearance? And what about shadeless fixtures? Or oversized fancy bulbs, which not fit in to shade? Are those should fail inspection?
I.m confused, what is definithin of "good order" will aply here?

Eddy_Current

.. light sold with out shade and no one word of recommendations in a manual.

You bought a “mix and match” fixture and it obviously looked to the inspector like it was missing components, so he gave you a defect. Nothing wrong with him doing that.

Just because someone sold it incomplete does not mean it is ok by CSA standards to install it. And of course there will be nothing in the manual because the manufacturer assumes you are going to install the complete fixture, not one missing components

Eddy_Current

...then, what rule is applied? and how could pass missing shade in shadeles fixtures?

The code has already been posted.

If the inspector failed the install then the fixture will not pass the way it is. He considers it defective.

Many pendant fixtures do not have shades and inspectors do not know what all types of fixtures are supposed to look like, but for the inspector to fail the install it must have been obviously missing components and should not have been installed that way.

Are you an electrician?

tiras1

Occupation
Electrician
The code has already been posted.

If the inspector failed the install then the fixture will not pass the way it is. He considers it defective.

Are you an electrician?
so, in your opinion, shadeless pendant lights will not pass inspection as inspector will treat them as defective?

Eddy_Current

so, in your opinion, shadeless pendant lights will not pass inspection as inspector will treat them as defective?

No, I have installed many pendants that do not have shades but that is how they were designed and approved by CSA to be installed.

Again, obviously the ones you installed DO require the shades as per their CSA designation and the inspector deemed them defective without the missing components.

Instead of posting your question on the internet, you should be speaking with the inspector as to what he wants and why he felt the fixture is defective.

This is sounding more and more like a DIY install and not an electrician or an electrical contractor question

tiras1

Occupation
Electrician
to my opinion shade is optional component for appearance only, as it not part of safety of electrical apparatus, saying that it should be opinion of owner to have it on or off. Electrical SAFETY code I assuming go for a safety electrical equipment and propper safe installation. How you can compromise electrical safety by not installed shade if coexist shadles brathers and sisters with same look, safety aplication, they only missing threads and nut on theirs socets.

Status
Not open for further replies.