Pendant Lighting EGC

Status
Not open for further replies.

wirenutter

This question has been raised in various forms, but I have yet to find a satisfactory answer to it. According to article 410.42 (2011 NEC), exposed metal (conductive) parts on a luminaire are to be grounded (or insulated from ground, or inaccessible...). Just looking around my house, I see desk lamps (as well as other appliances like coffee makers and toasters), that are 2-wire (no EGC) and have lots of metal attached to them. I have assumed that these appliances are "double insulated" in that they have flexible cable insulation as well as an insulated wire-way or plastic bushings, etc., although I'm not quite sure how this satifies 410.42, it's just something I hear people give as the reason they can be 2-conductor without ground. My question: If a 2-wire desk lamp satisfies the 410 requirements by being insulated a certain way, what about pendant lights like the following?:
Screen Shot 2015-06-15 at 2.06.33 AM.jpg
Where 2 twisted pair come into a metal shade without any grounding from the canopy. Granted, many of these types of fixtures are not UL listed, some of them claim to have gotten UL listed for dry location. Is it possible to get approved for UL listing, but be in violation of the NEC? I see these fixtures all over the place, particularly within the craft-lighting market. Are there exceptions for "craft-lighting"? If so, what about 410.6? This has bothered me for a long time and nobody can seem to give me straight answer. Are the thousands of ungrounded fixtures for sale on etsy in violation of code? Also, if it is permissible to have an ungrounded shade, does the canopy still get grounded via the cross bar grounding lug and just float up there?

Sorry if this issue has been answered elsewhere and thank you to anyone who can give clarity to this.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Although UL does not necessarily follow NEC rulings I seriously doubt that fixture would get a listing without an equipment grounding conductor.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I often see a two wire decorative cord (not actually zip cord?) along with a bare stranded EGC, both woven through the support chain.
Lamps with a single round cord that also bears the weight usually have the EGC inside the cable/cord.

mopowr steve

Occupation
Electrical contractor
Yes and be wary of those customers that don't like to see "that shiny copper wire going down the chain" so they cut it off.

As for the OP's picture of the fixture, it looks as though that would not be the original wire into the socket. Twisted RED wire? I would think there would be a better color than that from factory for that colored light fixture.

Status
Not open for further replies.