Pendant Lighting Fixtures

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Code talks about lighting fixtures that are pendant mounted and how that has to be done. Is it not permissible to hang a vapor proof fixture, or similar fixture, in a Class I, Division II location from a chain? The examples that I have seen are 4' fluorescent fixtures rated for Class I, Division II, that are hung from the ceiling with chains. I know the sealtite has to be shorter than 6' but is this hanging method permissible?
Are these fixture types what they are talking about when they say "pendant hung"?

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
The Code talks about lighting fixtures that are pendant mounted and how that has to be done. Is it not permissible to hang a vapor proof fixture, or similar fixture, in a Class I, Division II location from a chain? The examples that I have seen are 4' fluorescent fixtures rated for Class I, Division II, that are hung from the ceiling with chains. I know the sealtite has to be shorter than 6' but is this hanging method permissible?
Are these fixture types what they are talking about when they say "pendant hung"?
What you have described is an impermissible form of pendant mounting.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Some "general purpose" luminaires are permitted to be used in Class I, Division 2 if they are marked or tested properly. A chain mount is OK for them in unclassified locations. However, unless the chains are part of a "... permanent and effective bracing against lateral displacement ..."(hard to accomplish with chains alone), they serve no purpose in Division 2. Read Section 501.130(B)(3) carefully.

For that matter, using LMFC (sealtite) itself is highly questionable. It almost appears that someone thought that marking the luminaires for Division 2 meant you could use a general purpose form of installation.

Status
Not open for further replies.