Pentair VFD Pool Pump

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
Got a customer that had purchased a new Pentair Pool Pump Motor, NYS has forced all pool pump motors to be VFD. Typically VFD will trip GFCI and hearing reports that others are having tripping issues when the pool pump motor switches to low speed. Anyone aware of a work around or means to provide 240V GFCI to the pool pump that won't be nuisance tripping?
Told Pentair make a pool control panel that uses a special GFCI (not available outside of Pentair panel) that is not tripping, but don't know for fact.

kwired

Electron manager
Been mentioned before that Siemens GFCI's tend to hold better with these variable pumps than other brands.
Supposedly the Pentair branded GFCI's that come with some their control panels are rebranded Siemens units.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Got a customer that had purchased a new Pentair Pool Pump Motor, NYS has forced all pool pump motors to be VFD. Typically VFD will trip GFCI and hearing reports that others are having tripping issues when the pool pump motor switches to low speed. Anyone aware of a work around or means to provide 240V GFCI to the pool pump that won't be nuisance tripping?
Told Pentair make a pool control panel that uses a special GFCI (not available outside of Pentair panel) that is not tripping, but don't know for fact.
As far as I know, that is rebranded Siemens GFCI, so it is available outside Pentair panels.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
As far as I know, that is rebranded Siemens GFCI, so it is available outside Pentair panels.
Checked with Siemens and it is a rebranded BUT to some specifics criteria so that the Regular Siemens available off shelf doesn't function quite the same and it is proprietary to Pentair. (According to the Siemens Rep.) Also checked with local pool companies and the Pentair product are not available, back ordered.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Checked with Siemens and it is a rebranded BUT to some specifics criteria so that the Regular Siemens available off shelf doesn't function quite the same and it is proprietary to Pentair. (According to the Siemens Rep.) Also checked with local pool companies and the Pentair product are not available, back ordered.
Wonder why? Prior to the rebranding, Pentair was specifying the use of Siemens GFCIs because they did not trip with their pumps and other brands did.

retirede

At this point, you might as well try the standard Siemens breaker. Nothing to lose.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Checked with Siemens and it is a rebranded BUT to some specifics criteria so that the Regular Siemens available off shelf doesn't function quite the same and it is proprietary to Pentair. (According to the Siemens Rep.)
That might be what Siemens is instructing their people to say, as part of their brand-label deal with Pentair. That kind of deal is not uncommon. When I was at Siemens, we got memos like that when someone had struck a big juicy national agreement. We had a similar deal with Dover Elevator, who brand labeled Siemens / Furnas NEMA starters as Dover brand, we were supposed to say they were different. They were not.

For the OP: you might want to check this out, especially at the end,,,

Mystic Pools

Occupation
Swimming Pool Contractor
Department of Energy required in July of 2019 nationwide that all new pool pumps larger than 1 HP must be VS. Pentair has had ongoing problems with this. Have the customer return the pump and get a Jandy. :cool:I have no issues with them. Been a dealer for 37 years.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Department of Energy required in July of 2019 nationwide that all new pool pumps larger than 1 HP must be VS. Pentair has had ongoing problems with this. Have the customer return the pump and get a Jandy. :cool:I have no issues with them. Been a dealer for 37 years.
Many types and brands of equipment that have been forced to go to power conversion equipment to save energy have issues with GFCIs tripping. In many cases it is because power conversion equipment can produce high frequency leakage current that can cause some GFCIs to trip, even when the leakage current is less than 4 mA.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
I highly doubt there is any difference between the Siemens and Pentair branded breakers.

I’ve been using Siemens brand GFCI’s for maybe 3-4 years now with zero trip issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk