Pest deterrant

Status
Not open for further replies.

scpaul

I have an out building that has no electricity. Squirrels keep getting in through the loft and tearing all kinds of stuff up. I put a 12vdc automotive horn system on it to scare them away. It worked for awhile but, by the time that I got it loud enough to really work it really became a problem for my wife and myself.

I need to build a 12vdc, hvdc very low amperage output that draws little to no power unless it is turned on by a varmint. I don't want to kill them (my wife thinks they are cute), I just want to keep them out.

I'm wanting to use as much of the horn system as possible. It has a 12 v dc, 5 Ahr battery that is charged by a 125 mAmp battery maintainer.

I retired/disabled in 2009, so I'm afraid to go strictly by memory, it's not what it used to be. I need to make it as cheap as possible and have enough old stuff {read junk}(UPS systems, counter top ovens, etc.) that I can cannibalize for some parts.

I had thought about an old style automotive coil based system, but don't want it to have too high of amperage.

I check my email most often, so if you would answer there, I'd appreciate it. (neese.paul@yahoo.com)

Any suggestions will be appreciated, Paul :dunce:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I am closing this thread, in accordance with the Forum rules. This Forum is intended to assist professional electricians, inspectors, engineers, and other members of the electrical industry in the performance of their job-related tasks. However, if you are not an electrician or an electrical contractor, then we are not permitted to help you perform your own electrical installation work.

If I have misjudged the situation, if for example this project is related to your work, then send me a Private Message. If you can show me that I am wrong, and that you are a licensed electrician (or at least a licensed apprentice), then I will reopen your post, and offer an apology for the delay and inconvenience.

A reminder to all members, if you see a questionable post, feel free to report it by clicking the
report-40b.png
button at the bottom left corner of the post.

Status
Not open for further replies.