Pex type water line

Status
Not open for further replies.

HoneywellPHX

Occupation
Maintenance Teamlead
Hi there, First post, I have tried searching through the forms, I can find similar question but nothing leading me to a conclusion. I have a question regarding EMT, We are currently installing drinking water stations in my industrial plant "Replacing bottled water dispensers" The team providing the service wants to zip tie the Pex style water line to the EMT that is installed on the factory floor, does anyone know is this an acceptable practice?

Thank you for the help and direction

-Robert

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Welcome to the forum.

That's more a plumbing question, but I'd say it's not Kosher. We can't hang stuff from them.

RichB

Occupation
Electrician/Electrical Inspector
IIRC-not near a code book--but conduit can not be used to support anything but its own weight

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Hi there, First post, I have tried searching through the forms, I can find similar question but nothing leading me to a conclusion. I have a question regarding EMT, We are currently installing drinking water stations in my industrial plant "Replacing bottled water dispensers" The team providing the service wants to zip tie the Pex style water line to the EMT that is installed on the factory floor, does anyone know is this an acceptable practice?

-Robert
As Wayne posted but here’s the article..

(C) Raceways Used as Means of Support. Raceways shall be used only as a means of support for other raceways, cables, or nonelectrical equipment under any of the following condi‐ tions:
(1) Where the raceway or means of support is identified as a means of support
(2) Where the raceway contains power supply conductors for electrically controlled equipment and is used to support Class 2 circuit conductors or cables that are solely for the purpose of connection to the equipment control circuits
(3) Where the raceway is used to support boxes or conduit bodies in accordance with 314.23 or to support lumin‐ aires in accordance with 410.36(E)

I don’t see plumbing pipe listed.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

-Robert
This is probably not going to hurt anything but as others have pointed out is a code violation.

However, they could probably zip tie the pex to whatever the EMT is being supported by.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The pex would not put much more stress on the EMT than would a permitted Class 2 control cable, and while a violation, it is one that I would ignore if inspecting.

Knuckle Dragger

Master Electrician Electrical Contractor 01752
Occupation
Electrical Contractor

-Robert
No. Design your own run.
Sometimes the anchors that secure the clips barely hold the conduit run. :)

FionaZuppa

Occupation
Part Time Electrician (semi retired, old) - EE retired.
The pex would not put much more stress on the EMT than would a permitted Class 2 control cable, and while a violation, it is one that I would ignore if inspecting.
A 1" PEX line filled with water has some decent weight horizontal. If the PEX makes a 90deg turn from horizontal down vertical, and the vertical weight is held up by some other hanger, and you zip tie the vertical PEX to a vertical section of EMT, there's no weight of PEX being held/supported by the EMT. So, the vertical attach would be allowed?

Status
Not open for further replies.