PG&E Ag rate schedules for Solar

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
"Uses" in what sense? Panels? Inverters? Something else?

When you go on Net Energy Metering you have the opportunity, or you are required, to pick a different rate schedule. He's asking what others consider the most advantageous rate schedule to go on if you have solar.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Exactly. Is there a clear favorite rate schedule?

The profile for power delivery from solar is pretty predictable once you know the orientation of the array(s), but that will vary from customer to customer. The big individual customer factor is what the load profile is like. (Working couple with nobody using A/C at home during the day, stay at home mom or dad with A/C on all the time in summer, etc.)
You can figure out which rate schedule is best for a particular combination, or you can say which turns out to be the best most of the time to avoid having to do the actual analysis.
It may be possible to rule some of them out right at the start, though.
One problem is that, AFAIK, POCO can keep the same nominal rate schedule but still later change the start and end times for the off-peak, near peak and peak rate periods.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
Exactly. Is there a clear favorite rate schedule?

I don't know the answer, because I haven't worked on ag sites. If you want to do your own analysis, I understand that Energy Toolbase is the thing for that. Golddigger is right that to he most diligent you'd run an analysis for each customer. Of course, I realize that some don't care enough to give you the data you need to do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.