Phase Converters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lithium1994

Customer has a 220 volt single phase service, and recently purchased a 3 phase 208v 2 hp 60 qt mixer (commercial kitchen). Went down to the trusty supply house and they sized me out a couple of different converters from different manufactures. But all convert to 3 phase 230v. My question is how much harm would the increased voltage do on a 2 hp motor, and would I have to use a buck/boost transformer to bring down the voltage to 208v. Any suggestions would be great and thanks in advance.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
If you use a small VFD as a phase converter, even if you don't want to change speed, it can be programmed to put out the exact voltage you need as long as it is less than the supply voltage. Most VFDs 2HP and under at 230V do not need to be over sized for a single phase input.

Lithium1994

Didn't even think of a VFD. But would the different voltage legs off the inverter screw with the VFD for example L1 110 volts, L2 110 volts, L3 230 volts all to ground?

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Didn't even think of a VFD. But would the different voltage legs off the inverter screw with the VFD for example L1 110 volts, L2 110 volts, L3 230 volts all to ground?
If you use a VFD, you do not need a convertor at all. 240V single phase 2-wire input will yield 240V (max) three phase 3-wire output.

Status
Not open for further replies.