Phase Failure Monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

76nemo

Fluke has a data logger that plugs into a stardard receptacle and it logs power, then you download to a computer, its around $250.
Or some fluke meters have a optical coupling, it can connect to a laptop which you leave in place, and set the logging for time, and off you go and get a ton of data.

We had issues with power quality in a parking garage and hired a person to log, it was 5K or so. We finally purchased a top of the line fluke power quality analizer, its very useful, almost tells too much data.

http://us.fluke.com/usen/products/Fluke+VR1710.htm

gar

Occupation
EE
090812-1916 EST

iwire:

No offense.

I thought Speedskater had a very effective ingenious method. For the one singleshot event it is a very good solution and requires no long term battery backup. And Besoeker's idea of the phase loss relay in combination with the clock is an excellent solution, especially if the failsafe condition indicates phase loss.

I have used much more haywire methods to solve various problems on assembly lines where the down time costs are very high.

I could have suggested my Timlog system that can quantize to 1/100 second on up to 8 or 16 binary inputs for about as long as desired, and can have additional units monitored for many more inputs. But it is not needed for the problem at hand or cost effective.

Besoeker

Fluke has a data logger that plugs into a stardard receptacle and it logs power, then you download to a computer, its around $250.
Or some fluke meters have a optical coupling, it can connect to a laptop which you leave in place, and set the logging for time, and off you go and get a ton of data.

We had issues with power quality in a parking garage and hired a person to log, it was 5K or so. We finally purchased a top of the line fluke power quality analizer, its very useful, almost tells too much data.
I sometimes get asked to make power quality analysis measurements. We don't tout for business in that field though, at your $5k a pop, maybe we should! I got into it because much of what we do is variable speed drives and there was often a need to demonstrate site compliance within contractually agreed limits on THD.

I generally use a digital storage scope and download the data to a laptop. With a little bit of arithmetic on the data I can get the fundamental values and I've set up a couple of spreadsheets for FFTs to get harmonic magnitudes.

benaround

There are only so many places an elevator electrical system can take out an 80a fuse, go

to those places an find out why! After you spend time and money on data logging, you are

going to have to go look and find the problem, why not just start there?

Besoeker

There are only so many places an elevator electrical system can take out an 80a fuse, go

to those places an find out why! After you spend time and money on data logging, you are

going to have to go look and find the problem, why not just start there?

A valid point, but the original question was on how to determine the time of day when fuse failure occurs rather than establishing the cause.
Given that it's an intermittent fault, knowing the time of day might help in correlating the failure with some particular event and thus be of some assistance in fault finding.
But you are right, of course. The fault still needs to be found by whatever method.

Status
Not open for further replies.