Phase Rolling vs Phase swaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Brain freeze- can rolling phases result in reverse spinning or will it go unnoticed? Think ABC gets connected BCA or CAB

Actually, I've done this a few times with temp setups; with spider boxes and the like, it always seems like C has the lightest load, then B, so I'll roll the phases from one area forward (ABC-> BCA) and from another area back (ABC-> CAB) to get a better balance. Seems to work (in my environments, mostly single-phase loads).

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
FYI I have never heard the term "phase rolling" it must be a regional jargon thing. I remember this thread from a while back someone asked what "bumping phases" meant and I think most hadn't heard that term either.

Its done on distribution circuits. Picture lots and lots of high legs, where one can is always more loaded then the other one or two. By rotating each bank down line you get a nice balance.

StarCat

Industrial Engineering Tech
Occupation
Imdustrial Engineering Technician - HVACR Electrical and Mechanical Systems
On about getting my mind around this one. Suppose you had a 240V 3 PH high leg service on a commercial property with a bunch of heavily loaded Air Conditioning units, and noticed that there was quite a good voltage imbalance seen at the line side of all the RTU disconnects. Could phase rolling be used in this instance and where would you implement it? We are assuming that the way the panel loads were configured, was unbalanced by possibly more single phase loads than what the space originally had.

kwired

Electron manager
Its done on distribution circuits. Picture lots and lots of high legs, where one can is always more loaded then the other one or two. By rotating each bank down line you get a nice balance.
If you rotate all of them, you just rotated the imbalance.

You should be alternating which line single phase services connect to also, and when an unbalance condition seems to be persistent you change a select few to balance things out. Those high leg delta services need to have "rolling" of primary or swap the non high leg secondary conductors if your balancing act will change rotation.

drcampbell

Occupation
Registered Professional Engineer
Presumably, it would be implemented by the utility "rolling" the primary connections to the transformers, to reduce a voltage and/or current imbalance in the primary-voltage distribution phases.

Status
Not open for further replies.