Phasing wire...just the tip or the whole thing...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danny89

I'm currently candy caneing some quite large wire. Each wire is 20 feet long...looks good but if mamma ain't a cookie cutter...

Where in the code does it answer.
Do we phase just the ends of the wire or is it all of the wire where it can be seen?

Thanks sparkyz!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
For neutrals and EGC's the NEC uses the word "encircle" meaning that the conductor requires one turn of tape. {250.119(A)(2)} {200.6(B)}

bwat

EE
Occupation
EE
And by chance if you happen to have circuits supplied by more than one voltage and that's why you're marking, see 210.5(C)(1) for the ungrounded conductors.

paulengr

I was taught “clearly marked” which means usually on the ends at least. Some guys also interpret as the entrance/exit if a panel. Either way one tape width of color, EXCEPT it states bare, green, or 3 green stripes several places in the Code which I interpret to mean 3 rings of green tape.

Subject to interpretation would be for instance when you have grounds landing on shat is clearly a grounding bar. Does it really need marking?

Phasing not required...heck wire numbering. Not required, but not having it makes it really hard to figure things out. The labels though are usually one time use. Drawings are often missing, wrong, or mixed up, so numbering and tracing is the safest way to go even if it conflicts with existing numbering.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Either way one tape width of color, EXCEPT it states bare, green, or 3 green stripes several places in the Code which I interpret to mean 3 rings of green tape.
Are a stripe and a ring the same thing? Nothing in the NEC says you need three rings of tape but you can certainly put on as many as you like. :)

250.119(A) Conductors 4 AWG and Larger. Equipment grounding
conductors 4 AWG and larger shall comply with 250.119(A)(1)
and (A)(2).
(1) An insulated or covered conductor 4 AWG and larger
shall be permitted, at the time of installation, to be
permanently identified as an equipment grounding
conductor at each end and at every point where the
conductor is accessible.
Exception: Conductors 4 AWG and larger shall not be required to be
marked in conduit bodies that contain no splices or unused hubs.
(2) Identification shall encircle the conductor and shall be
accomplished by one of the following:
a. Stripping the insulation or covering from the entire
exposed length
b. Coloring the insulation or covering green at the
termination
c. Marking the insulation or covering with green tape or
green adhesive labels at the termination

Beaches EE

Occupation
Electrical Engineer / Facilities Manager
The rules differ for grounded, EGC and phase conductors. 250.119 covers the EGC and 200.6 grounded conductors. There are different requirements depending upon wire size, original insulation color and conductor purpose. If you have black insulation on your particular conductor then tape can be used to identify the EGC (green), grounded (white or gray depending upon system voltages) and phase (BK/RD/BU or BR/OR/YL) conductors for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.