Phone cable and cat 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

wireguru

What do you terminate this cable into......a four gang box?

no, single gang box. You use keystone wallplates which take up to 6 inserts in a single gang, then you install whichever inserts you need into the wallplate (RJ45 for network, RJ12 for phone, F81 for coax, etc)

stickboy1375

What do you terminate this cable into......a four gang box?

Just install a low voltage ring.

LVN1_small.jpg

TOOL_5150

Where do i start . the cable you guys are talking about is called Structured Wiring. and it is sold in different styles. example it can be bought 2cat&2rg6 or 1cat%1rg6 or 2cat5%1rg6 . i use the 2cat5&2rg6 because my clients tend to use it all. i wire house's with this cable because #1 IT LOOKS NEAT 2 it is all home runs no splitters in the line from source to tv means better picture and better hd. and the reason i use 2 cat5's and 2 rg6's is because the cat5 is for phone and inter net . and the coax's are for cable and sat or cctv or many other reasons. and another reason i use that one is it saves me from having to go back to the customers house and trying to snake walls to add another line . a lot of me customers use both coax's cause they have both cable and sat in their house .

now thats the deferents between us A/V guys that you electrician's think they know it all's call us loser's not a real trade,Well i can go on for ever

Im not trying to diss you guys but i hate getting shit .on the job site from you guys you give us no credit and it piss's me off. it funny how manny of you guys now say you install home theater and cctv and home automation and whole house audio and hang tv's when like 5 years ago if you ask a electrician if you could run a phone line he would laugh in your face ...
so please just leave us alone and let us do are work... :wink:

You are such an angry fella. And only 2 posts too! Your blatent hate on us, "you electricians" is annoying. Not all electricians are ignorant to LV installation. I, for example, started out in the LV - and owned a LV business right out of high school.

So as a new forum member, I wouldnt just come in here pointing fingers and stepping on toes.

~Matt

danickstr

That guy is cranky, but I admit that I was grimacing a bit that no one called it structured wiring for awhile.

I just am the same as most here in not wanting to drill big holes for expensive wire that is not going to be used. Two pull boxes of RG6 and CT5 each are just a bit bulkier to move around, but save in hole size, when only one or two are needed for the location.

I especially like the box to access port conduit concept, and use it when they let me.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Where do i start .

Im not trying to diss you guys but i hate getting shit .on the job site from you guys you give us no credit and it piss's me off.
Well, that's certainly not the place to start. :rolleyes:

Smart, there are some electricians who are well versed in LV, and some who aren't. I'm sure there are some LV guys who know power wiring and some who don't. A guy has to know when he's qualified for certain work, and when he isn't. You can't lump all electricians OR all LV guys together.

I have done plenty of audio/video, computer networking, POTS, cable/satelllite, alarm, etc. work. In a 7800 sq.ft.+ house I wired a couple of years ago, I did ALL of the wiring: power, phone, satellite, H/T and whole-house audio, networking; everything but the T-stat wires (but I know how.)

I tested every run and termination, and everything worked the first time. I have never used the 'structured cable' because it wasn't right for the job. In every room, the best location for, say, the satellite receiver was not the best location for the network access port or the phone jack.

None of all this matters, though. What does matter, and what you'll learn if you stay here, is: depsite how we may disagree on certain points in our discussions (and believe me, we have had some disagreements!), we remain civil, and treat each other with respect.

And, I hope you do hang out here a while. It'll be nice to have a greater amount of LV discussions. I'm a home-theater guy myself. (I have a CRT projector; if that doesn't prove it, what does? :wink:) Just chill a little; none of it is worth getting upset over, unless it's costing you money.

Welcome to the zoo. :smile:

electricmanscott

Where do i start . the cable you guys are talking about is called Structured Wiring. and it is sold in different styles. example it can be bought 2cat&2rg6 or 1cat%1rg6 or 2cat5%1rg6 . i use the 2cat5&2rg6 because my clients tend to use it all. i wire house's with this cable because #1 IT LOOKS NEAT 2 it is all home runs no splitters in the line from source to tv means better picture and better hd. and the reason i use 2 cat5's and 2 rg6's is because the cat5 is for phone and inter net . and the coax's are for cable and sat or cctv or many other reasons. and another reason i use that one is it saves me from having to go back to the customers house and trying to snake walls to add another line . a lot of me customers use both coax's cause they have both cable and sat in their house .

now thats the deferents between us A/V guys that you electrician's think they know it all's call us loser's not a real trade,Well i can go on for ever

Im not trying to diss you guys but i hate getting shit .on the job site from you guys you give us no credit and it piss's me off. it funny how manny of you guys now say you install home theater and cctv and home automation and whole house audio and hang tv's when like 5 years ago if you ask a electrician if you could run a phone line he would laugh in your face ...

I agree with the wireguru.

Also there seems to be alot of "it's too expensive" comments about this cable. To that I say GOOD. I'd rather sell and expensive product that is easier to install and make more money fom it any day.

Last edited:

FlyFish

The reason why LV installers get s**t on the job is because many are unlicensed and have no idea what the NEC is. I do LV work and I never get any s**t from any EC. They see that I know what I'm doing. They also see the same violations that I see. LV people running CM cable in riser and plenum applications, wires tied to conduits, wires laid on ceiling grids and no fire stop. What about "neat and workman like manner"
Try this, When you get to a construction site find the EC say hello, identify yourself and what your going to be installing. You would be surprised at the help they will be. I always get asked for my business card and now have about 8 EC's that call me for subcontract work. Remember if you walk onto a job with an attitude you'll always get S**T. BUTTHOLES always get's S**T.

wireguru

I agree with the wireguru.

Also there seems to be alot of "it's too expensive" comments about this cable. To that I say GOOD. I'd rather sell and expensive product that is easier to install and make more money fom it any day.

But if you're getting X dollars per outlet, id rather use the lower cost material (without skimping on quality of course) and make more profit.

MAK

Im not trying to diss you guys but i hate getting ostracized .on the job site from you guys you give us no credit and it piss's me off. it funny how manny of you guys now say you install home theater and cctv and home automation and whole house audio and hang tv's when like 5 years ago if you ask a electrician if you could run a phone line he would laugh in your face ...

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you." I think you should reevaluate your opinion on electricians as a whole. Not all electricians would treat you as they have in your post. I laugh at people who try to degrade my trade or skill set. They may be ignorant to my trade and skill set or have a deep seeded insecurity that fuels their poor attitude. I could care less if they thought the earth was flat! That is their problem.:wink:

Now don't let the poor attitude of others turn you into what you despise. If you're not careful you might find yourself in the same group.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
... you electrician's think you know it all [and] call us losers [because we are] not a real trade. Well I can go on for ever ... I'm not trying to diss you guys but I hate getting ostracized on the job site from you guys- you give us no credit and it piss's me off. It's funny how many of you guys now say you install home theater and cctv and home automation and whole house audio and hang tv's when like 5 years ago if you ask a electrician if he could run a phone line he would laugh in your face ... so please just leave us alone and let us do our work.

Geeze, and I thought I was the only grumpy old guy here. Welcome to the club electricmanscott. :wink:

-Hal

Last edited:

electricmanscott

But if you're getting X dollars per outlet, id rather use the lower cost material (without skimping on quality of course) and make more profit.

Guess it depend on how you look at it.

I don't "get" x dollars per outlet I "bill" x dollars per outlet. What I bill is based on what material and labor will be used for the outlet. if I use a higher priced material and charge for it I will make more money.

Status
Not open for further replies.