Phone required in Elevator Machine Room?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean.Day72

Simple question. I have reviewed the local building code and ASME 17.1 and cannot find if a phone is required to be installed in a elevator machine room. I understand the requirements for an emergency phone in the elevator car, but not for the machine room itself.

Could this possible be a requirement of the elevator manufacturer requesting it and not a building code?

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Put plenty in the elevator cars but I never saw one in the machine rooms. The phone is for emergency use and I can't see how that would be required there.

Actually I'm not understanding your question though. You seem to think that one is required but can't find where that requirement is. Where did you get that idea?

-Hal

The only times I've seen a phone in the machine room were either large multi-tenant buildings where the local management/security office put one there or single-use buildings; every time, they already had a phone system on-prem so it was just another extension.

Romel

Occupation
Designer
I had a project once where the AHJ insisted to have a communication provision between the Machine Room and staffed lobby.
We argued that it was not explicitly required in the code but still had it though for added value purposes (and to satisfy the AHJ).

Relevant code as below.
ASME A 2.27.1.1.4 (a)
The means shall enable emergency personnel within the building to establish two-way communication to each car individually.

IBS 907.2.13.2
the wired fire department communication system shall be designed and installed in accordance with NFPA 72 and shall oper-
ate between a fire command center complying with Section 911, elevators, elevator lobbies, emergency and standby power rooms, fire pump rooms, areas of refuge and inside enclosed exit stairways. The fire department communication device shall be provided at each floor level within the enclosed exit stairway.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
I think IBS 907.2.13.2 refers to life safety communications for first responders and not phones that would be used even for an elevator emergency.

ASME A 2.27.1.1.4 (a) refers to the normal elevator car emergency phone.

The only times I've seen a phone in the machine room were either large multi-tenant buildings where the local management/security office put one there or single-use buildings; every time, they already had a phone system on-prem so it was just another extension.

An probably many other locations like boiler rooms, etc.

-Hal

Sean.Day72

The question originated from the general contractor. Probably has seen it in other buildings and is assuming.

I’ve seen phone in large machine rooms with 4+ machines , but this is a tiny room with one machine in it .

If it’s for a safety reasons incase someone gets injured in there I could apply this logic to phones being required to all mechanical and electrical rooms...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.