photo cell dusk to dawn retrofit

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying to locate a source for the small cheap dusk to dawn photocells supplied with various outdoor fixtures to be able to retrofit them onto exterior fixtures of preferable aesthetic that are not available with the preinstalled capability.

The standalones I can get from local electrical wholesalers and/or big box competition are going on as expensive as some of the entire light fixtures I have purchased with onboard dusk to dawn photocells ($15-20). And, to make matters worse, they are more bulky and difficult to install in a fixture escutcheon, being mostly intended to hang off a 1/2" threaded knockout on an exterior box or cover.

These fixture mounted units are made to fit in the maybe a 1/2" diameter hole similar to that you would use to mount a push button or pull switch onto an unswitched fixture.

Has anybody found these available through local commercial infrastructure or on the internet.

Thanks,

Brian

480sparky

A photocell like this?

photocell1.jpg

If so, they're like belly buttons..... everyone has them.

satcom

archibald tuttle said:
I'm trying to locate a source for the small cheap dusk to dawn photocells supplied with various outdoor fixtures to be able to retrofit them onto exterior fixtures of preferable aesthetic that are not available with the preinstalled capability.

The standalones I can get from local electrical wholesalers and/or big box competition are going on as expensive as some of the entire light fixtures I have purchased with onboard dusk to dawn photocells ($15-20). And, to make matters worse, they are more bulky and difficult to install in a fixture escutcheon, being mostly intended to hang off a 1/2" threaded knockout on an exterior box or cover.

These fixture mounted units are made to fit in the maybe a 1/2" diameter hole similar to that you would use to mount a push button or pull switch onto an unswitched fixture.

Has anybody found these available through local commercial infrastructure or on the internet.

Thanks,

Brian

A good part of our business is to get rid of the dusk to dawn photocells, and replace them with timers, the energy savings more them pays.

We still have a few dusk to dawn photocells, in some areas that need safety lighting.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
satcom said:
A good part of our business is to get rid of the dusk to dawn photocells, and replace them with timers, the energy savings more them pays.
Even as a generalization, I disagree with this. A timer is as capable of turning lights off at the wrong time as they are of turning lights on at the wrong time.

I want a light that responds to actual conditions, not a clock. If there's a total solar eclipse and it's dark out, I want the lights to light up the darkness.

If the lights go off when it's light enough to not need them, I'm saving energy. If I don't want them to stay on til dawn, a timer can override a cell.

iwire

Staff member
I like the 'both' approach suggested by Larry.

For dusk a photocell to turn on the lights, timer to shutdown the lights. At dawn (if needed) a timer to turn on the lights the photo cell to turn them off.

Many of the retail stores we do specify the outdoor fixtures with the built in photo cells and then also control the branch circuit via an energy management system.

DIRT27

Both is good, but the intermatic astro time clocks are pretty accurate, I have installed a few of them and they really keep up the the different times of year, they auto adjust on almost a daily basis the dusk to dawn settings. They are pretty pricey though.

mdshunk

DIRT27 said:
Both is good, but the intermatic astro time clocks are pretty accurate, I have installed a few of them and they really keep up the the different times of year, they auto adjust on almost a daily basis the dusk to dawn settings. They are pretty pricey though.
Not sure what you mean by "pricey". I installed an Intermatic device-mounted astro timer two weeks ago Thursday, and it was 26 bucks, my cost. Model ST01C http://www.intermatic.com/?action=prod&pid=9472&did=5&cid=43&sid=112

Pullnwire

Occupation
Electrician, Business Owner, SME and Trade Instructor
I like E-conolight.com, they good prices on standard outdoor fixtures, can lights and trims, lamps and accesories. (photocells) I have ordered many times from them, and was always surprised by the quality.
Brett

Pullnwire

Occupation
LarryFine said:
Unfortunately, that can work both ways. :rolleyes:

I am pretty particular about the stuff I use, as I'm sure most of us are. I bought 1 400 watt mh wallpack for $135. I could not pass it up, considering my wholesale house wanted over 200 for the same. I open the box, and was surprised by the quality of the case, lens and ballast. What I liked the most was that there were alot of 1/2" ko's in it. I think there were six on the sides, which eases install. And the lamp was included!:D

Pullnwire

Occupation
Yes, wallpacks are still legal here in California. A small number of small communties have adopted the dark sky laws, so we have to use models with full cutoff optics. All this light pollution is horrible!:grin:

e57

Years ago I was installing a Commercial lighting control system. And for some reason kept slipping (maybe Freudian) and saying "Astronomic Clock" during conversations about it's price in the same breath. :roll: So maybe a wise idea to refer to features, and cost either with different wording appropreiate for the context..... :grin:

480sparky said:
A photocell like this?

photocell1.jpg

If so, they're like belly buttons..... everyone has them.

I just must be looking in the wrong aisle. I'm always so busy chasing the flashing blue light that I must have overlooked them. That is just what I mean. Last time I checked with a wholesaler the answer was no, but that might have been a couple of years back and I have just forgotten to ask again.

Manufacturer name or number?

As to efficiency and the question of D2D or Timer, the intermatic's are alright but you have to have a master's degree to set the damn things. I probably install one of them every 6 months or so, which is just about the time it takes me to forget the programming algorithm.

I guess for reasons of efficiency or other intangible social factors, the D2D concept is losing out anyway. I used to go to the Despot and have dozens of lights with onboard D2D to choose from. Now they have one wall mounted lantern style and thats about it. Tons of motion detector style.

Of course D2D is prophylactic and Motion is reactionary so they serve two different needs. Virtually every outdoor fixture I use has some form of medium base compact flourescent and I'm generally more interested in bombproof performance than saving 2 or 3 hours of on time. I use the timers in houses where I have multiple lights on outdoor circuits that were purposefully fed back to the panel for common control but you don't always have that luxury.

One other problem with the intermatics is that only their most expensive ones have contact ratings for significant flourescent loads. So that the simplpler ones to program that cost half of the fancy ones are out for these applications. Now, of course, a minor bit of the increased cost would be contact system capable of throughput for differing flourescent load characteristics, but I think it is mostly price point and marketing issues and not this slight additional cost that drive the current selection.

'Harry'

iwire

Staff member
I am closing this thread, in accordance with the Forum Rules.

This site is designed for:

• Contractors
  • Electricians
  • Engineers
  • Inspectors
  • Instructors
  • Other electrically related individuals
* This NEC? Forum is for those in the electrical and related industries. Questions of a "How-To" nature by persons not involved in the electrical industry will be removed without notice.
If you feel this action to be in error, feel free to contact me via PM to explain.

A reminder to all members, if you see a questionable post, feel free to report it by clicking the
report.gif
button at the top right corner of the post.

Status
Not open for further replies.